Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Checkmate
Need Help.  Handling Concern, 251 Checkmate. >

Need Help. Handling Concern, 251 Checkmate.

Notices

Need Help. Handling Concern, 251 Checkmate.

Old 05-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help. Handling Concern, 251 Checkmate.

Purchased a 1989 251 Convincor. 454, 330 HP, running a Mirage 23 degree prop.. Screw rotates clockwise. Boat seems to suddenly list (severely) to drivers side after planing off, and when slowing down to "no wake" speed. Trim tabs are all the way up, bilge is dry. Any suggestions on what I can check for, or try?
Old 05-26-2002, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the exact same boat only with 365 hp and later with 638 hp--no ill handling. If you don't weigh 400 lbs than I would look for a bottom problem. Possible hook on port (left) side of hull. Check to make sure everything is straight on the bottom.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Registered

Thanks Tinker
Old 05-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

a boating buddie had that problem,lower unit skeg was bent,
had it fixed,problem was 95% better-------something to look
at-------joe
Old 05-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

I have an 89 251 also. Power is a HP500 carb. I have a minor lean to "port" when the drive is at a low trim setting. It's caused by prop torque. But you says yours leans to the driver side(starboard)? I'd have to agree with Tinker and Duster! Check the hull bottom for a hook and check the lower case on your Bravo.

Ps. Try a Hydromotive 4-blade prop on that thing! Start out with a 22 pitch.

My .05, Eric
Old 05-27-2002, 04:51 PM
Registered

Your problem is most likely drive, tabs or weight distribution. As Eric stated my boat also lists to port when getting up on plane due to prop torque, but your problem is the oposite. Check your tabs to assure they are working have someone watch while out of the water and run them up and down. If I forget and leave a tab down I have had the problem you mention. If you have a bad ram on a drive it may cause that problem.
This may be a stupid question but are you triming the drive in when slowing? If not you can get prop wash on the tab. Last check for damage or play in the drive and weight distribution in the boat. You may want to check the bilge under the cockpit floor and cabin to be sure you don't have water trapped. There are drain holes running down the centerline which allows water to run back to the engine compartment, these can get blocked.
Good luck.

Barry
Old 05-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Registered

Let me throw this question out as well. I can grab the outdrive and push it side to side (to simulate turning) and not get any feedback to the steering wheel until the drive (near the prop) pivots about 1.5" to 2" either side from dead center. Shouldn't it be tighter?

BTW, I did take it out today and it ran pretty well. Maybe I'm just experiencing a learning curve for this particular boat.
Old 05-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

To me that sounds like too much play. Way more than I would want, that's for sure. 1st thing to do is torque the two top pivot bolts(nuts actually) down to 50ft lbs. They are the two at the top of the outside transom plate. If that does not cure the loose side to side problem then it's too late because they were not kept torqued throughout the life of the boat. I tighten mine twice a year. Then most likely it will need a new gimbal ring.

As Barry said about play in the drive, it could definatly cause your problem.

Eric
Old 05-28-2002, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red....

sounds like a learning curve not a leaning curve A boat will feel a lot different in the driver's seat ( as opposed to your usual position, right behind me, yelling at the top of your lungs, " YIPPIE!!!!!..... WOOO HOOOOO!!!!"

you looked good Monday on the big lake though

make sure you miss our corp plane to Detroit and not take that class, then you will make our boat club outing and we will check it out. I'm sure Waterfoul will have and answer. ...if you dare to let him drive

I still wonder about water in a forward bulkhead..........???? the boat does plane off incredibly quick without tabs

or maybe nothing, hopefully.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Loose strearing will do it every time. If there is that much play in the gimbal thats whats causing your problem. My baja will turn to the drivers side(enough that I have to compensate with the wheel) everytime when coming down off plane. Mine is caused by the loose stearing. just my .02

Quick Reply: Need Help. Handling Concern, 251 Checkmate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.