2800SX Outboard Restoration

Notices

2800SX Outboard Restoration

Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,969 Likes on 780 Posts
Default Awesome stuff.

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
Ran my new DAH 26 pitch choppers last sunday. Netted 71.11 MPH @ 6000 rpm on the right motor and 5800 rpm on the counter rotating motor. That was with 96 gallons of gas and two adults. I think with more seat time, light on gas, some new reeds and I can sneak up on 75 mph!! Not to shabby for a couple of fishing motors!!!
Save your money on the reeds though. If you do back to back testing, as in before/after w/no other changes....., you will see ZERO.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Save your money on the reeds though. If you do back to back testing, as in before/after w/no other changes....., you will see ZERO.
What would you suggest Gary?? I think milling the heads for more compression, new reeds (mostly for safety) and intake spacers should yield me a bit more torque and top end performance...I pretty impressed with the performance so far for a BIG boat! (there were a few who thought I'd be lucky to get mid 60's) I'm also wondering if I should've run 20" mids..I've got my 25" motors mounted as high as I can go and still have plenty of water pressure with 24" of setback..I'm going to have to put a straight edge against the bottom and see where my nose cones line up with the bottom...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,969 Likes on 780 Posts
Default Yep, I was ....

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
(there were a few who thought I'd be lucky to get mid 60's)
one of them. I'll be interested to see how it runs w/the cabin interior back in it. Weight in the bow makes a huge difference in a vee.

On the reeds, I've probably installed as many sets as anyone and never seen a thing. I do it more for insurance in case the motors ingest one. Nylon Vs steel. Al Stoker (racer on S/F) did a killer dyno test/story on them (search for it) on a hot rod OMC. The stock reeds actually made more power than the Chris Carson reeds but evidently no one read the story as he's selling the hell out of them any how

I don't know the Mercs well enough to coach you on those motors other than the basics. I know on the OMC's, the only difference between the 200's and 225's are the carbs so it's a cheap, easy 50HP bolt on for twins and your 200's may be similar.
Increasing the compression on a two stroke is only going to help acceleration. They build and retain too much combustion chamber temperature (firing twice as often as a car motor) to build any additional power for long.
Porting is everything in a 2 stroke and where you go to get everything. It's the cam shaft, valves, rocker arms, and head ports to a car motor. I can add 100 HP's to a 225 OMC fish motor w/a die grinder.
One of the negatives to the Hi Perf Merc motors is they are either chrome or Nikasil plated cylinders which are very expensive to re-plate after porting (or after popping one like I did) compared to my steel bores that I just run a hone through. My repair would have been 3 times the price.
IMO, one of the better Merc hot rod projects for load and longevity are the 225 Pro Max's. These are 2.5 steel sleeve motors that already have most of the good parts in them and are easy to make into 260/280 style/ported motors for the right guy.
They start at about 245 - 250 HP's stock and I know run right beside a 225 HO carb'd OMC and they're 254 at the crank.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered

Had a great winters day on the water last sunday. Left Jupiter inlet and headed north to St. Lucie Inlet in 2'-3' seas. It was nice to air the boat out in some swells!! Headed to the Manatee Pocket for lunch and then joined some friends at the Stuart Sandbar for the afternoon. Saw a pod of bottlenose dolphins on the ride home and got back to the boat ramp at dusk. It was a great day!! Here's some fun for ya:

Rooster tail shot at 65mph:
http://youtu.be/SzM3n2QffG0

Me and the wife enjoying some idle time:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200648408793174
Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Registered

It's been 4 months now that I've been running the boat since piecing together and hanging the twin Mercury 2.4's. The motors were long overdue for some much needed attention due to the fact that they sat for many years not being used (I was amazed they ran as well as they did until the gremlins started showing up last week!). I also wanted to swap the gear cases to spin the props in. Due to my lack of spare time (and knowledge) I dropped the boat off to my good friends at Nicks Creative Marine in Riviera Beach, Fl and had them go to work. Port motor had 135lbs across all 6 cylinders and the starboard motor had 120-125 lbs across all 6. We installed new plugs and Hi-Performance plug wires on both motors. The starboard motor also received new switch boxes and a stator. Fuel pump on the port motor had a pinhole in the diaphram so the pump was replaced. All the bleeder hoses were changed and both motors were treated with PowerTune to remove old carbon deposits. Gear cases were swapped and cables adjusted to spin the props in.

I managed to squeeze in a run right before dark on tuesday. Boat ran like a champ! Motors idled nicely and no longer stalled (which was a real pain in the azz when it came to docking). The boat jumped out of the hole and accellerated really strong!! With the props spinning inward the boat felt lighter, the stern seemed to fly higher and the boat rode very level with no bounce. I could actually feel the boat ride up on the pad and get loose!! I managed 70.44MPH GPS with 75 gallons of gas in 80 degree weather with flat calm water and heading into a 15-20 mph wind directly off the bow. If I had more daylight (those channel markers jump out of the dark when you can't see them) I may have squeezed a couple more mph out of the boat with more driver input! Overall I was very impressed with the changes that were made!!! Thanks Nick and crew!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Job,

Nick's a good guy.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats on getting it dialed in! I miss my twin outboard Thouroughbred.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Registered

Cabin restoration is almost complete! Moving into the cockpit next week!

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-2800SX-begins!!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

putting in any bulkheads?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Old World Champ
putting in any bulkheads?
Yes, I reinstalled the V-birth bulkhead and glassed in a Nidacore mid cabin bulkhead and a Nidacore bulkhead between the cockpit and cabin.

Last edited by JUPITER PULSARE; 11-14-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.