2002 Checkmate 270 BR >

2002 Checkmate 270 BR

Notices

2002 Checkmate 270 BR

Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Checkmate 270 BR

Guys, appreciate a few opinions, I have no questions persay but just like a overall Impression of the 270 BR from checkmate owners Boat is equipped with 6.2 L. Any input would be wonderful, Always been a baja guy.

Thanks in advance for any input.. I want another cuddy and the wife would like a open bow,, this covers both options and just be a 2 year boat for us
Old 08-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 348 Likes on 121 Posts

I ordered a new one from the factory back in 2001 with a Merc 500 efi.

On the plus side Checkmates gel-coat is second to none. Checkmate builds a solid boat. The day I sold it some two years later it looked brand new.

Two things bugged me about that boat. It was a porpoise machine if you tried to give it any trim from around 25 mph until about 50 when it would finally come out of it. Basically throughout the entire cruising range you could not give it any trim or it would constantly do the up/down thing. Drove me nuts. Secondly, in a slow or moderate turn it would pitch over and scare the hell out of anybody who wasn't prepared for it to lean way over on its side.

Not show stoppers but over time those two things ate at me. Rode in a 28 Donzi ZXO and hands down it was a better hull - but they are more expensive.

Good boat for the money but it has a few quarks - as do many boats.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I ordered a new one from the factory back in 2001 with a Merc 500 efi.

On the plus side Checkmates gel-coat is second to none. Checkmate builds a solid boat. The day I sold it some two years later it looked brand new.

Two things bugged me about that boat. It was a porpoise machine if you tried to give it any trim from around 25 mph until about 50 when it would finally come out of it. Basically throughout the entire cruising range you could not give it any trim or it would constantly do the up/down thing. Drove me nuts. Secondly, in a slow or moderate turn it would pitch over and scare the hell out of anybody who wasn't prepared for it to lean way over on its side.

Not show stoppers but over time those two things ate at me. Rode in a 28 Donzi ZXO and hands down it was a better hull - but they are more expensive.

Good boat for the money but it has a few quarks - as do many boats.
Porpoise is the main concern I have, I have witnessed this on several runs watching this boat run down the lake. The boat is immaculate with 240 hrs, which for 2 years and 20 hours a year I feel it will be good substitute until I make the jump I want in 2-3 years, I know the owner, very well maintained and very clean boat. Give and take on this model balances itself for what I feel I need at this time. price is fair and feel I can get a good return on investment in couple years
Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 348 Likes on 121 Posts

If porpoise is your main concern I'd give Kunkel marine a call and ask them if some 280 K-planes might eliminate it. They know all things Checkmate like no one else. I was going to try that but I rode in a 35 Fountain and it ruined me Checks are nice boats, don't mean to sound neg on them.

Kunkel Marine 3087 Park Ave W, Ontario, OH 44906
(419) 529-4446
Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 760 Likes on 410 Posts

Yes, a set of 280's will make a totally different boat out of that 270.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Yes, a set of 280's will make a totally different boat out of that 270.
Do not seem to be very many 270 BR available out there for comparison, 6.2 no the engine I would prefer but that is what it is,, Sacrifice that for the open bow that the wife would like.. Passed up a decent deal on 05 25 outlaw due the small cockpit area and not sure use the Cuddy
Old 08-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Registered

and at a good price point until I can jump into what I would really like to get into in couple years
Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Put a Hydromotive QIV prop on and porpoise is gone. I have same issue with my 253. Still runs great on top end just needs a bit more trim and will run more level on the pad versus bow high.

6.2 is underpowered in a 270 imo
Old 08-19-2015, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Put a Hydromotive QIV prop on and porpoise is gone. I have same issue with my 253. Still runs great on top end just needs a bit more trim and will run more level on the pad versus bow high.

6.2 is underpowered in a 270 imo
I agree but very clean boat, excellent shape and low hours. Not a scratch, ding on hull and interior is flawless minus one driver seat logo. They looked to be " screened " and not sewn? Any recommendations on repair there also I looked at the boat tonight and pick it up on Friday. midcabin is what we where looking for without spending 50-60 thousand on a sunny. Get the midcabin with much less out of the pocket I will research the prop you recommended for sure. What pitch would you recommend. 3 or 4 blade ? Also a new member to the checkmate crew
Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is very underpowered for the size boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.