Winterizing Opps!! for Kip or Whomever might know >

Winterizing Opps!! for Kip or Whomever might know

Notices

Winterizing Opps!! for Kip or Whomever might know

Old 11-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winterizing Opps!! for Kip or Whomever might know

I winterized my boat last weekend. All went well on my 2002 Checkmate ZT240 496 mag but one thing. I put they proper amount of fuel stabilzer in the tank and the little foil cover over the end of the bottle went down in my tank. It was about the size of a dime. What kind of problems will I run into if any or will it just stay in the tank? Is there a screen over the tank pickup? Or will it just get sucked into my fuel filter? H
Old 11-14-2002, 06:35 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Hi Brent;

That sounds real bad to me. I would be worried. I am not sure if there is a screen on the pick-up like cars have. I don't think that there is a screen. If there isn't a screen there, you have some work ahead of you. That foil cover can get sucked up into the pick-up and lean your motor out in no time. I would call Checkmate and ask them if the pick-up has a screen on it or not. Even if it does have a screen, I would be worried. If your pick-up is accessable, just pull it out and see if you can find the foil. Maybe you can do a test with another piece of foil to see if it floats in gasoline. If it is floating, it shouldn't be toooooo hard to find.

Good luck

Vinny
Old 11-20-2002, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 111 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes you need to find out if there is a sceen. In a different case, I had a GMC Top Kick with a Caterpiller diesel engine that would stall out once a week and get towed back to the shop. After priming the fuel system it would start back up and run fine for another week or so. After a couple of weeks we pulled the sender out (no screen just a 3/8" tube near the bottom of the tank) and found a few pieces if foil sloshing around. They had come from diesel fuel additive bottles. Truck has been fine ever since.

Like Checkmate454mag said, I would check with Checkmate and see if there is a screen. If there is you should be fine. If there isn't, try and pull your sender and attach a screen to it. It was easy to find the pieces on a 40 gal side frame mount, but I think it going to be hard with a marine type tank.

Good luck.
Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by Shah Mat; 11-20-2002 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:15 AM
CONVINCOR 300

I checked .........it has a screen.... so you should be OK !

Old 11-22-2002, 04:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

FAST ENOUGH Even with a screen on the pickup you could still get a leanout disaster if the foil gets sucked onto screen during ahard run! If you remove sender maby you can use one of those syphon pumps to fish it out. That piece of alum is probably at rear of tank.