broken checkmate

Notices

broken checkmate

Old 02-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: broken checkmate

Hi Jim,

Are you from the Atlanta area? Was your 21' Checkmate Pulsare a red boat? If so there is 2 sides to this story.

Any ifo?

X-driver
Old 02-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

There are two sides to every story.

I'd like to hear all the facts of either side.

All I read, was a recommendation not to buy from Checkmate based on a few allegations. If you really want to help people out, tell us the entire story and let us judge whether we should avoid buying from Checkmate ourselves.

Checkmate has been in business for over 40 years, and they haven't survived that long by building flawed boats and screwing people.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered

Sorry to here about your misfortune, boat accidents are very scary.

But, anyone on this board who has a decent grasp or knowledge of boat building, will tell you that Checkmate has one of the best built transoms out there. All you have to do is lift the motor hatch on one and look at how they’re braced. They are built very well. I’ve seen them drilled through (for thru-exhaust and swim platform attachment), and the lamination is high quality. I’ve owned several Checkmates from 1986 models thru the present. No problems, ever. Always been known for having high quality, and beefy transoms.

Last year I had a 2000 model 21’ Checkmate outboard model, with a 300 Merc Promax hanging off the back, set back 8”. While trailering, a car hit my boat/trailer at 45mph+ coming around a corner. The trailer was knocked out from under it, and the boat flew about 50 feet in the air, landed on the asphalt and skidded down the road another 125 feet. It flew thru the air sideways and landed hard, tipping back and forth after it made contact with the road and started sliding. It slid on one side (sideways), and then teetered over to the other side and slid on that side till it came to a rest. I fully expected the motor to be ripped from the transom, and surely delamination to the hull. There wasn’t even a stress crack at the transom. The hull was pretty messed up, but consisted of basically gel coat damage where contact with the road was made. No holes, No delamination, No structural damage, and No damage to the transom.

I had an 87’ 21 feet Checkmate out board model. I hit a stump so hard with the lower unit one time in that boat, that I almost came to a stop. I had that motor set back 8” as well. Not a crack in the transom.

I have a buddy who had a 90’ 17’ Checkmate outboard model that took his lower unit completey off on a large log. He had his motor setback 10” and it had a hopped up 200 Johnson. The transom was only rated at 150hp, he was running almost 250hp. Not a crack in the transom.

I had an 86’ 17’ Checkmate I/O. After I sold it to my cousin in, he ripped the skeg off on a wing damn (large boulders found on Mississippi River channel sides) Hit very hard, running around 35-40 mph. No damage to the transom.

I knew a guy who had an old 81’ 16’-18’ Checkmate out board model, sitting in his junkyard. Out in the rain for years, was going to be a fixer up project. He had a 24” mount bracked on it for an outboard. No motor. The floor was rotten and it was in bad shape. But, you could stand on the set-back bracket and jump up and down on it. Solid!

Chekmates are known for being well built. Ask anyone in this business. You obviously had a bad experience. You seem like a smart guy, but you should try not to make generalizations. I remember your story, heard about it 5 or 6 years ago. I don’t remember all the details. Are your sure there is something you’re not telling us?.... If not, I have no reason not to believe you. Sorry you had bad luck.

-Craig
Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered

guys there is no untold story and i have nothing against checkmate other than them not fixing the boat properly ! I did have another checkmate before this one an 89 or so 19 ft with 200 on it no problems with it normal gel cracks nothing bad though! a friend has a 96 16 ft with a 170hp (150) on it and it is fine but I did have problem with my 21 sorry to say, I know there are loyal checkmate guys here I was one also until this! checkmate after about 2 years into lawsuit found someone who wanted to buy this boat I had them give the new owner full hull warranty and told new owner of problem in which he felt comfortable in buying the boat > i hope it is ok for him yes it was red boat from atlata so please tell me other side and how do you know other side.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

also checkmate never denied there was a problem the main issue was in the way they fixed it .first time i got it back it broke in less than 30 minutes the transom had to be replaced said 2 local fiberglass shops and that was after 2nd time. first time i trusted checkmate to fix it and after a near serious wreck i thought i should get second and 3rd opinion. i do not know how they fixed it the last time i never saw the boat again.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

Did you add your own setback and/or do any mods to your transom before the failure? Regardless, it's water under the bridge.

Just seams a little strange is all, since Checkmate is not a mass production boat. A lot of time and care goes into the building of one...

-Craig
Old 02-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I beat the crap out of my 25 for years never had a problem, loved the boat!
Old 02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Registered

I also put my 25 Checkmate through the test and it faired pretty well. Only thing that would fall off that boat every weekend was another girls panties.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Registered

i had my 87 enchanter for about 6-8 years and had 15" setback on it with a 260 hangin out there!! had the usuall spider cracks in the corners but the transom was solid and held up well, however, there were aluminum "knee" bracing added too. i thought it was well built so i bought another!!
skaterjim, got any photos of the problem? would be great to see the transom after something like that. i know you probably dont want to show them after the razzing your gettin here but it may educational also!

i know all of us "checkies" get a little offended but by all means this is a forum and its all about opinions and information.......thanks for sharing!!
id still love to see some shots of that boat if you got em!!

kevin
Old 02-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatn70
i had my 87 enchanter for about 6-8 years and had 15" setback on it with a 260 hangin out there!! had the usuall spider cracks in the corners but the transom was solid and held up well, however, there were aluminum "knee" bracing added too. i thought it was well built so i bought another!!
skaterjim, got any photos of the problem? would be great to see the transom after something like that. i know you probably dont want to show them after the razzing your gettin here but it may educational also!

i know all of us "checkies" get a little offended but by all means this is a forum and its all about opinions and information.......thanks for sharing!!
id still love to see some shots of that boat if you got em!!

kevin
not sure if i have pictures ill look. i had some but may be the lawyers kept or threw out its been a while

Quick Reply: broken checkmate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.