Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
I am looking at eiher a 312 or 375 Stinger, what to look for? >

I am looking at eiher a 312 or 375 Stinger, what to look for?

Notices

I am looking at eiher a 312 or 375 Stinger, what to look for?

Old 06-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am looking at eiher a 312 or 375 Stinger, what to look for?

Give me the good bad and the ugly of the mid 80's stingers?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I am looking at eiher a 312 or 375 Stinger, what to look for?

You need to have a qualified surveyor look the boat over thoroughly. Particular attention needs to be paid to the hull in the area of the keel-there were some issues with the hull splitting along the keel on some of the Stingers. Otherwise all the normal problems with an older boat should be suspect, but may not be present.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
You need to have a qualified surveyor look the boat over thoroughly. Particular attention needs to be paid to the hull in the area of the keel-there were some issues with the hull splitting along the keel on some of the Stingers. Otherwise all the normal problems with an older boat should be suspect, but may not be present.
ok thats what I was lokking for, known issues with these stingers, thanks
Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Registered

I just recently bought a 84' 260,..I was told to check the transom very well, looking for any stress cracks or suspicious repairs.

Those 312's are sweet!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i jsut sold my 375 a few weeks ago. i bought it new in 1991 as a bank repo. it was a 1988 from a dealer that went bankrupt up north. i kept the boat in florida on a lift for 10 years, brought it up to ohio river for a few years and tehn brought it to lake cumberland. i never had any problem watsoever with the hull and drove the boat in teh gulf and test drove it in gail winds, and teh boat coudl handle teh rough great. i would not hesitate as to buying an old stinger they are great boats. i now wish i stil had teh boat considering my project cig will be lucky to be ready by this winter
Old 06-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 375stinger
i jsut sold my 375 a few weeks ago. i bought it new in 1991 as a bank repo. it was a 1988 from a dealer that went bankrupt up north. i kept the boat in florida on a lift for 10 years, brought it up to ohio river for a few years and tehn brought it to lake cumberland. i never had any problem watsoever with the hull and drove the boat in teh gulf and test drove it in gail winds, and teh boat coudl handle teh rough great. i would not hesitate as to buying an old stinger they are great boats. i now wish i stil had teh boat considering my project cig will be lucky to be ready by this winter
man there was a 1988 375 i think on ebay this week for 24,500, it had rounded window and looked very sleek compared to 312's, is this a rare boat. It looked way ahead of its time for being an 88.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 375 stinger was much more sleek of a design compared to the other stingers that were made. you should be able to pick up an average one for mid 30's. they were only made for a few years and are pretty rare, but you can still find them out there. i would recommend going to the 375, and getting a larger boat that can really handle a wake. the 375 never had windows on them. they had a rounded fairing and more of a bubble deck design as opposed to a flatdeck. i had my engines rebuilt jsut before selling it (454s supposed to have 475 horses). the boat ran 56 mph at 4400 rpms on gps, but it could have easily reached above 60 if i had it propped right. they arent the fastest boats, but they are very practical for a high performance boat. mine had 2 year old paint, and 4year old interior, and rebuilt engines with 80 hours, freshwater, under covered dock, new gauges, looked near perfect, and it sold for $42,000. they hold their value very well, i woudl highly recommend buying one especially if you have a family with children where u want a fast boat but also need somethng practical and larger inside the cabin, and cockpit.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Registered

Hi: Is anyone interested in the only original 1983 312 Stinger w/Betty Cook KAAMA surface drives? I retro fit the entire boat with stainless etc... The boat has had little time on the water. I'm always interested in parts etc...
Old 08-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 375stinger
the 375 stinger was much more sleek of a design compared to the other stingers that were made. you should be able to pick up an average one for mid 30's. they were only made for a few years and are pretty rare, but you can still find them out there. i would recommend going to the 375, and getting a larger boat that can really handle a wake. the 375 never had windows on them. they had a rounded fairing and more of a bubble deck design as opposed to a flatdeck. i had my engines rebuilt jsut before selling it (454s supposed to have 475 horses). the boat ran 56 mph at 4400 rpms on gps, but it could have easily reached above 60 if i had it propped right. they arent the fastest boats, but they are very practical for a high performance boat. mine had 2 year old paint, and 4year old interior, and rebuilt engines with 80 hours, freshwater, under covered dock, new gauges, looked near perfect, and it sold for $42,000. they hold their value very well, i woudl highly recommend buying one especially if you have a family with children where u want a fast boat but also need somethng practical and larger inside the cabin, and cockpit.

I bought this boat from Stinger375. It's been a great boat so far. No one would guess it's an '88, they usually think it's around a '96. The styling was way ahead of its time.

When I got it, it would run really close to 56 mph (GPS) at 4400 rpm. It sat in the lake in KY where he had it and it had a little growth on the bottom. I stuck it in this mudhole we call a lake here in Dallas and in a month the bottom had gotten so furry that I had lost 5 mph.

When the marina finally got my lift installed we noticed that one blade on the port prop was bent just a little on the end. I took them to the prop shop and now I'm getting just over 59 mph at 4900 rpm. Props make a HUGE difference. Keep in mind that the bottom has not been done.

We're pulling it next week to have the bottom acid washed, waxed, and maybe put RainX on it. I'm hoping to get it to the mid 60s then. My prop guy says that if I pick up more rpm after we get the boat cleaned up, he could re-do them again and re-cup these Bravo1 22p so I'm effectively at 23p. I think the motors have the power.

The 375 looks nothing like the previous Stingers. I was tied up to a 312 in the cove a couple weeks ago and he couldn't believe they were both '88s. This was the boat I almost bought before I found the 375.

There is one on Boattraderonline.com in MD for $45k and a couple 415s, $60K and $40K-sans engines.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

anyone have pics of the 375's??
thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: I am looking at eiher a 312 or 375 Stinger, what to look for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.