202 stinger Need sum info and input

Notices

202 stinger Need sum info and input

Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 202 stinger Need sum info and input

Just purchased a super clean 202.In process of installing a 355 small block replacing the V6.Descovered a deteriated left stringer,IT was a fresh water boat. Has anybody done this fix before.I also have removed the sand in the bow, 165lbs of it.The boat ran a lot better. Any help on this matter would be great .Does any body know what kind of tabs will fit this transom. Thanks John

Last edited by Fenderjack; 08-28-2006 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 202 stinger Need sum info and input

I've owned a 202stinger for four years now and very much into this little boat as it is still a superb looking boat almost twenty years later. This winter I am planning a complete refurbishment plus a new engine. Mine has the 205HP V6 mercruiser and the best speed on GPS was 49.5mph. I would be interested to hear what sort of performance figures anybody has achieved with other engines.
A friend of mine in Germany is running a 202stinger with a 200HP Yamaha outboard with 67mph on GPS. This is on a fixed outboard bracket. He is using a pair of srandard Bennett trim tabs. 30 x 20 cm I think they are and they are mounted quite close to the centre of the keel. Previously he had an old blue band merc, 150HP, and the boat ran 56mph.
Flat out with the Yamaha the boat does feel very loose and does start to chine ride. I dont know if the hull is starting to reach its limit.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Well I have torn into the broken stringer, started to repace it with treated wood and west system, it is stronger now then ever, should be buttoned up tommorow. I had the boat out a few weeks ago, with the stock 175 v6 2 barrel i manged to get the boat to 42 on gps. After that is when I noticed the broken stringer. I pulled the boat and, if ya didn't know there is about 170lbs of sand foamed into the very bow of it, I removed all of it. I am currently building a mild 355 chevy(400hp) for it. As far as hull speed goes I have heard from a few that there is a hook made into the rear of the boat, well i have looked at every angle to find it and there is none, that has made me beleive there isn't a maximum speed to it, it is kinda like a flat bottom, it will go as fast as you can push it, saying it can get squirly.. I am hopping to see mid 70's with the set up i am doing, will post back when the time comes.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recomend fibreglassing in two flat pieces of 3/4inch ply either side of the inner engine mounting stringers. This will give you a flat base for mounting the battery and trim pump etc plus more comfortable for standing and kneeling in the engine bay.
Bond these pieces of ply to the engine stringers and it will give a huge amount of strength to the stringers to stop them flexing side ways. Also I would fit steel angled engine mounts through bolted rather than lag bolts. Over here in Europe we tend to bond our hull and decks together for extra strength also which I notice most American boats aren't.
The quality of laminating in the Chris craft stingers from this period was terrible and it would pay to beef it up where possible.
In my friends boat in Germany he has lowered the floor in the front and it has created quite a large cabin. The fuel tank is in the back of the boat as it is outboard driven. It has been top coated with gelcoat in the cabin which makes it much more pleasant to be in as before there was so much loose strands of fibreglass. He can now sleep 2 adults and 2 children in the front laying sideways plus access is much easier as the boat has now two front seats and a rear bench.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Re: 202 stinger Need sum info and input

Originally Posted by therabster
I would recomend fibreglassing in two flat pieces of 3/4inch ply either side of the inner engine mounting stringers. This will give you a flat base for mounting the battery and trim pump etc plus more comfortable for standing and kneeling in the engine bay.
Bond these pieces of ply to the engine stringers and it will give a huge amount of strength to the stringers to stop them flexing side ways. Also I would fit steel angled engine mounts through bolted rather than lag bolts. Over here in Europe we tend to bond our hull and decks together for extra strength also which I notice most American boats aren't.
The quality of laminating in the Chris craft stingers from this period was terrible and it would pay to beef it up where possible.
In my friends boat in Germany he has lowered the floor in the front and it has created quite a large cabin. The fuel tank is in the back of the boat as it is outboard driven. It has been top coated with gelcoat in the cabin which makes it much more pleasant to be in as before there was so much loose strands of fibreglass. He can now sleep 2 adults and 2 children in the front laying sideways plus access is much easier as the boat has now two front seats and a rear bench.

There is already 2 peices of sheet wood that is glassed to the stringers in the boat, the battery is on one and the trim pump is on the other, I am not sure if you were talking about the 202 or 22 stinger, as I have the 202. I was planning to go over them and tie them into the stringers even better then they are now. I have already got rid of the lags, replaced them with bolts, also plaining on running a solid mount like alot of pro street car guys do witch would tie both the mounts and stringers in as 1.. I will post bact to let everyone knowe how it goes... THANKS
Old 08-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

we put a 496ho in our little 202 and waiting to do some prop testing after we et the drive work done. should know something next month. Will have to look for the sand and see how it plays out with the new motor. Also I have not found a hook in the hull neither and we had straight edges all over that thing
Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

anybody have any pics of a 202 stinger? someone i do some biz with called me an he has one for sale. pretty clean 87 with a big block in it.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Ask and you shall receive http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oceanl...?.dir=/3cb8re2
cool little boats, love the center steering.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
we put a 496ho in our little 202 and waiting to do some prop testing after we et the drive work done. should know something next month. Will have to look for the sand and see how it plays out with the new motor. Also I have not found a hook in the hull neither and we had straight edges all over that thing

Hey defently post up results whern you get them. We was thinking a big block but steered away only casue of more weight, also considered a late model ls(x) 6.0, just decided a healthy 350 would do the trick. Did you do alot or any strengthining to the hull or what??? seeya

GLASSDAVE here ya go

Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 295 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee
Ask and you shall receive http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oceanl...?.dir=/3cb8re2
cool little boats, love the center steering.

hey Lee hows it going? are you guys going to be in Ocean City? we have the Batboat back togather so we can get back in the P-5 battle. may also bring out the cat. thanks for the pics.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: 202 stinger Need sum info and input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.