Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Chris Craft
HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak! >

HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

Notices

HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

Old 09-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

hello everyone! I have a 1984 chris craft stinger 260 that i have been working on restoring and rebuilding for about 4 or 5 years on and off. It has twin 350's. I finally thought i was at completion when I took it out for my first run this year and i encountered an oil leak from hell! It appeared one of the engines lost oil pressure while idling out from the loading ramp. Didn't catch the drop in pressure till a couple of seconds before the engine died. I opened the engine hatch and there was a major puddle of oil in the bilge. I pulled engine, did a bottom end rebuild, dropped engine back in. Okay now i go to start engine up, noticed no oil pressure and there was the oil again in the bilge. I found the oil coming from around oil filter. I replaced that filter with a fresh one. same thing happened again. So i pulled the oil filter adapter off as well and replaced with a new one as well as new filter once again. Well problem was solved, took boat back out and engine ran fine for about a good hour. Well today went out to run engines on hose to check everything out before taking to lake, and there was no oil pressure on the same engine and oil was in bilge again coming fromoil filter. I am at a dead end and don't know what else to do! Does anyone recognize this and no how to resolve? Help greatly appreciated!
Old 09-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 273 Posts

wow... get a pro to look at it! I have no clue either!
Old 09-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Registered

you may have some kind of blockedge after the oil filter, is it blowing out the oil filter seal ?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Registered

yeah it is coming out over the seal. the filter is tight enough. a few times before it was causing enough pressure to loosen the filter but it is still tight and the oil is running over the filter when engine is running.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGSTINGER211
yeah it is coming out over the seal. the filter is tight enough. a few times before it was causing enough pressure to loosen the filter but it is still tight and the oil is running over the filter when engine is running.
dumb question, did you make SURE the old oil filter rubber ring is not stuck to the housing? that is the only thing that makes sense to me if it is coming from between the filter and the block, does it have oil coolers? I doubt it., if it does pull off the cooler adaptor and re seal all if it.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Registered

last time i changed the filter is when i put a new oil filter adapter and new filter on. evidently something was wrong with the old adapter. i double checked for any old seal to be left on there and it was clean and slick. this evidently solved the problem. took it out for about an hour, ran fine. that was about a month ago. went out yesterday and the same thing happened. don't know it something is causing the adapter to go bad or what. i will check the filter again today for bad seal and post back on results.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Registered

ok, pulled filter, it was nice and snug but not too tight. the seal looked fine , no damage and intact. what could be causing this? could trash in the oil be clogging the oil passage way in the adapter or what? oil looked to be a little dark but not heavy. i also checked the adapter for looseness. it was ok also.

Last edited by BIGSTINGER211; 09-18-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGSTINGER211
ok, pulled filter, it was nice and snug but not too tight. the seal looked fine , no damage and intact. what could be causing this? could trash in the oil be clogging the oil passage way in the adapter or what? oil looked to be a little dark but not heavy. i also checked the adapter for looseness. it was ok also.
doit do it at idle? are you able to see where it is REALLY coming from when it is doing it?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

it being so tight to see under twin engines, I can only see just the outer side of filter. I do feel the oil running down filter. now when engine is off i feel around and it just covered with dripping oil. i felt around oil pan after i took filter off and i don't think its coming from there. I used fram filter. think i will try ac delco and see if thats any different.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long shot, I remember many years ago a problem with the bellhousing bolts intruding into filter adapter area. Don't know if thats your problem, just sharing a possibility.
Jim

Quick Reply: HELP! 84 mercruiser 350 engine oil leak!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.