New Owner Stinger 202 >

New Owner Stinger 202

Notices

New Owner Stinger 202

Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 708 Posts

New Brodix heads are installed... all I have left is the exhaust and ignition to put back on as well as a few electrical issues. Then we're boating!

New heads should have me in the 500 HP range WITH the manifolds. I think the Alpha is in trouble!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got it home. 13hrs of driving.

Outside is in great shape. Will probably only have to wetsand and reshoot the clearcoat.

Inside is another story... Actually shouldn't be too bad, as the stringers are already removed. The Transom appears to be solid.

I am leaning towards keeping the boat as an outboard, as it would be simpler and less costly to find a used 225HP, than an entire motor, drive, etc...

The disadvantage would be that I could never get anywhere near TomZ 500HP

Pictures in Fla

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 AM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 708 Posts

That's a good looking little boat! Keep us updated on the restoration.

500 HP is easy... two outboards.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 510 Posts

Man that does look good! And i can see what you mean about the interior! is there even one there???

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Welcome to the site, Good looking boat.. We had to redo the stringers in ours aswell.. As stated with the v6 the boat would run in the low 50's on gps.. With the 1.98 gears in the stock alpha, spinning a 30p bravo prop, running a injected small block, the boat went 77 gps, still on the rev box. We switched to a 1.82 ratio alpha drive, still hitting the , no gps but has to be a solid 80 mph on gps.. As far as unstable, once it gets past the mid 60's the chine walk goes away and the boat runs straight.. just have to drive the boat. Bravo 1 and a procharger the winter Keep us posted on the project

John jr
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Of course, TomZ's boat is a 222 with a full cabin and more weight. You have a much lighter boat with a lighter bow to carry. I think I would do what your plans are and stay with the outboard. You'll have a real cockpit with seating.

I would strongly suggest two things to maximize performance. 1st is to mount the engine on a bracket to set it back some. The 2nd would be to also buy a hydraulic jacking plate.

About 20 years ago, my brother had an Alison with a 2.4 on it with a jack plate. I would seriously guess the jack plate added a minimum of 10-12 mph to his boat by bringing the engine up and reducing drag (It was a 90+ mph boat). Of course, you normally can't get a boat to even plane with that high of an "X" dimension, so the jack plate allows both lower engine height for slower speed manuvering and getting on plane, and a "surface drive" with lower drag for high speeds. The best of both worlds.

However, they are not cheap. My 2 cents....
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Registered

I am leaning towards keeping the boat as an outboard, as it would be simpler and less costly to find a used 225HP, than an entire motor, drive, etc...
Outboards? "Whizbang eggbeater, firecrakers"
With only room for one "bolt on anchor" hanging off the back, what make / model do you think would suit? I've heard the new E-Tec's are good. Or would you want to go the HP Merc2.5 or something similar?

I still think you should find a complete package (motor/drive and gear) combo and drop that in. Modern outboards chew fuel and will cost a fortune to hook on and set up anyway! You could probably find a nice SBC and a Alpha/Bravo drive for less than the cost of just an outboard!

(I can't stand outboards...)

Just my (Australian conversion = $1.50) 2 cents

PS: Boat looks awesome though! Keep the pics coming, I'm dead keen on seeing the interior refit progress!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Registered

A little update:

Been staring at the boat for a while now making mental notes of what needs to be done, then writing it down.

Well my wife left with the kids for a couple of weeks, so I stopped all other activities to get this done before it gets too cold.

I realized very fast how much work was left in removing and grinding down the FG. I was amazed how little of the stringers actually touched the hull. The rest had foam between it and the hull. 3M 5200 sure does not go very far. So here is some of the progress...Should have the floor in by this weekend.

Oh... almost forgot. Found a 1993 225 down in Charleston for $800. Hope it runs.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stinger 202 outboard version

I have a friend in Germany who has built an outboard version. He is currently running a 200hp outboard giving 67mph. Previously a 150hp old blueband Merc. 56mph. also you can lower the floor if you are putting in new stringers. It will transform the boat space wise and offset the steering to one side. You will be surprised how big a cabin there is in the front. Plus remove the sand and put the fuel tank right at the back.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Registered

Any Updates as yet?

Quick Reply: New Owner Stinger 202

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.