Electric Chris Craft 25!! >

Electric Chris Craft 25!!

Notices

Electric Chris Craft 25!!

Old 02-16-2023, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Electric Chris Craft 25!!

Ohh snap! I love it! Looks like it's got a Bravo 3.

https://chriscraft.com/electric
Old 02-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

2 Hours of runtime.....ah...what?
Old 02-17-2023, 10:20 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
2 Hours of runtime.....ah...what?
Its all fine and dandy if its only used as a tender for your mega-yacht to get to shore!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-17-2023, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 268 Likes on 145 Posts

Approx. 2 hours
Old 02-17-2023, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

I used to run a 1990 Chris Craft 245 LTD w/a OMC 460 King Cobra at Raystown Lake for... well, since 1991 actually, until about 2015ish. And our use case was, trailer boat from the house to water (1 mile), and run maybe 30-40 miles/day. Then trailer back to the house. We usually went for a run early AM when the water was glass and hung out in a cove and swam most of the day. For that use case, I think the boat would work just fine. It would be amazing to cruise at 50 MPH on glass water at 6 AM chasing the rising sun, or even at 9 PM in the fading light in dead silence. I know it won't quite have the rumble of a 460 idling towards the dock, or taking off, but a very solid use case. It also won't have the mind numbing drone of strait out pipes for hours at a time. Trailer it home, charge it over night, do it all again the next day. And instead of 60 gallon $300 weekends, it would be (estimating) 120kWh x 2 days = 240 kWh at $0.15/kWh = $36.00.

Boats are not cheap, neither are batteries, but that's some serious fuel savings. Not to mention no oil changes, no fuel filter changes, no oil filter changes, no air cleaner cleaning. No oil in the bilge. No smoke. No noise. etc etc. Hell, my 2 oil changes every fall cost at least what? $100+ in oil alone + filters + fuel filters. it adds up.

I miss that Chris Craft and lake, (moved on to bigger water/bigger boat), but this setup would be perfect for a very nice lake boat.
And the tech only gets better ever year. Someday this boat will run 4 hours. Then in a few years 8. Then maybe 10. Exciting stuff!

I am surprised at the Bravo 3. Not because it's not a good fit and this boat probably was 'converted' from gas rather than ground up, but I wonder if there are more efficient drive methods. If you put the motor IN the lower unit pod - then you'd not have any losses from 2 90 degree turns of gears. Not to mention more room on the boat. Fun stuff!