Cafe' vs Gun >

Cafe' vs Gun

Notices

Cafe' vs Gun

Old 06-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Default Re: Cafe' vs Gun

Chewy, I was in the EXACT same spot you are in for over the last two years until buying our boat in March. I REALLY like Cafe's and have had alot of seat time in them, either behind the wheel or in the passenger seat. I've been in some CRAZY big water in a Cafe and was always impressed with how well it handles the big water. This is why when I started looking for a Cig I wanted a Cafe.

The market seemed to show that they were consistantly 15-20k cheaper than guns. In my mind that was a good thing since a Cafe is just a smaller Gun. i.e. same cockpit, same cabin, pretty much the same ride. I shopped hard for Cafes but started to look at Guns as well. It always seemed I was sacraficing something in order to justify a Gun purchase. Like the gun would have trs's or older motors, or not the right interior, or rougher shape, etc. etc.

When my last boat finally sold I called Lip-ship to see what Cafe's he had. He told me, in short, that I should buy a Gun and then made me a killer deal on our current boat.

I still love Cafes and still wouldn't mind having one but the short of it is. Take your time and find out what you want. Get to know the different styles of the Cafe/Guns of the 90's. There are suttle differences in both like stainless railing or the flat painted type. Upgraded cabin or the older style. head rest on the cockpit seats, trs's/bravos, older motors vs. newer motors etc. etc. etc.

I'm assuming you want to spend under 100k if you're looking in this range. There are alot more cafes that Guns in this range but everyonce in a while you'll see a nice gun pop up for a good price.

And one more thing. In regards to speeds. The cafe's are HEAVY!! Craig Barrie explained to me the 90's guns are actually a couple MPH faster than the 90's Cafes. Guns more efficient. I was suprised to hear this but know how much power it takes to get a Cafe up to high speeds.

I searched every corner of the market for a couple of years and learned alot along the way. If you want to pick my brain anytime I'd be more than happy to speak with you, just drop me a pm or e-mail.

And if you're looking for a great deal, call either Phil @ Lip-ship or Craig Barrie @ Martin. They both know a "little 'bit" about Cigs and can point you in the right direction w/out the Bull Sh!t. Good luck bro.

Tank

Here's a pic of what we ended up with.....
Attached Thumbnails Cafe' vs Gun-gun-channel.jpg  

Last edited by thisistank; 06-09-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the gun listed in #11. Looks sweet! Seems real cheep for a 98. When did they put steps in the Guns? Seems like the 1994 and 1995's are where I'm at by the time I see what I like. Never really considered much newer. I really like the graphics on that 98. Guess I'll have to do some financing research. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:24 PM

What about salt water issues? What am I lookin for or looking to avoid with salt water boats? Seems like every one I see still looks immaculate. Some people have told me that there aren't many systems on a cig (opposed to a cruiser) so not as much to worry about. I do know that no matter how pretty the outside is, I can't see inside the engine.

Last edited by chewy1955; 06-09-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:35 PM

WOW! Tank that is a sharp Gun! Is that really a 95? Great lookin boat.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vandy021
...a 42x and we could go 95+ in 5-8 footers.
95 mph in 8 footers in any boat is a very tall order...

The 8 footers I have been out make my 42 foot boat feel very small and even if I had the power to do it I doubt anything built by man or anyone aboard would last very long at 95.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH

The 8 footers I have been out make my 42 foot boat feel very small and even if I had the power to do it I doubt anything built by man or anyone aboard would last very long at 95.
Yea..But.. Those arent "Bar" 8s !!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH

iwasnt gonna say anything but since you brought it up......

i call bullsh!t
Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chewy1955
What about salt water issues? What am I lookin for or looking to avoid with salt water boats? Seems like every one I see still looks immaculate. Some people have told me that there aren't many systems on a cig (opposed to a cruiser) so not as much to worry about. I do know that no matter how pretty the outside is, I can't see inside the engine.

Salt eats aluminum heads very quickly and you can't tell until they're thru the jackets. It's also very tough on exhausts. Many times, outdrives look clean but when you have to take them apart, every fastener snaps off from the salt wicking into the threads. You'll see guys putting the old "innards" into new housings rather than trying to edm-out all those bolts and filling with inserts.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vandy021
Excuse the s*it out of me. I accidentally put 5-8. I thought I had put 4-6. If you guys can't run that fast in four footers my apologies. With a pair of 1050 Sterlings or 1075 you can run those speeds all day long. I will correct my mistake!

This is why we bought a 46!
great but this thread is about someone lookiing to get something nice as possible for 100k or less( im assuming)

not you latest and greatest 400k toy and how awsome it is

P.S. post count
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLH

GLH you forgot the tag line.......

unless its an APACHE!!!!

Quick Reply: Cafe' vs Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.