The Chevy 572 Crate Motors in the Gladiator

Notices

The Chevy 572 Crate Motors in the Gladiator

Old 08-31-2005, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: The Chevy 572 Crate Motors in the Gladiator

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
The valve guides do neet to be honed due to the different tolerances between and automotive and marine application. The work that Paul Pfaff did cost about $2500 per motor. I have had no issue with reversion thus far. A Sea Demon would help.
What is a sea demon?
Old 08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
What is a sea demon?

Marine carberator
Old 09-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Haven't received the parts yet from the Barry Grant guys. They are supposed to be sending some small pieces that are in their marien carbs that are not on the car versions. However, it has not really been an issue since that one severly rough day in San Diego. Running in average conditions doesn't affect it.
Please do keep us posted on the bill of materials that are necessary to correct the float bowl issue. I am converting two ZZ502 crate motors over to marine. Running the 4150HP Holley 950 carbs. Like you, I don't wish to have any carb issues while running in the slop.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OldSchool
That looks great Jeffrey!!!

I have been running zz502/502's for the last 2 1/2 years on my Bullet with no problems, but they had been modified with cam, intake, valves and carb change. A leak down test was done yesterday for the new owner and....after 118 hours...no issues whatsoever.
Can you give me a list of what you did to the motors? I just would like to know if I missed anything. Do you remember the cam specs? What exhaust did you end up with? Any dyno numbers. Tyler Cockett will have one of my soon for some dyno time. Will be interesting to see what the changes to the base motor will bring.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 08-06-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
Arizona speed and marine has an EFI setup for those engines, nice package
Scoggin Dickey has a true ZZ572 EFI motor. But, the CR in print is high. Maybe it is a misprint. Only 650HP at 12.1?
Old 09-05-2005, 03:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Can you give me a list of what you did to the motors? I just would like to know if I missed anything. Do you remember the cam specs? What exhaust did you end up with? Any dyno numbers. Tyler Cockett will have one of my soon for some dyno time. Will be interesting to see what the changes to the base motor will bring.
The valves were changed to inconel.
The valve springs were changed.
The cam was changed. 598/610 lift 230/236 duration hydraulic roller.
The head gaskets were changed.
The oil pans were changed to Eickert 12 quart.
Brodix single plane intake.
Holly 1050 Dominator carb.
Eickert thermostatically controlled oil system.

The engines made a little over 625 HP and are still running very strong for the new owner of the boat after 160 hours.

Craig
Attached Thumbnails The Chevy 572 Crate Motors in the Gladiator-bullet%5B1%5D.starboardengine.jpg  
Old 09-06-2005, 01:01 PM
FOUNDER and BG1
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please do keep us posted on the bill of materials that are necessary to correct the float bowl issue. I am converting two ZZ502 crate motors over to marine. Running the 4150HP Holley 950 carbs. Like you, I don't wish to have any carb issues while running in the slop.
Weeks later and still no parts. I finally emailed them again and he said he thought they went out. He is going to check.

Ran the boat again this past weekend. Water was nice - small chop. Motors are running perfectly. I had not run the boat in seven weeks since my San Diego outing in mid-July. Both motors fired right away and ran flawlessly. I was able to hit 90 easily at 5200rpm with the 32s. I definately need a set of 34s as there was quite a bit of throttle left. It felt like I could spin the 32s to 6000 if I had tried!
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Registered

The valves were changed to inconel.
The valve springs were changed.
The cam was changed. 598/610 lift 230/236 duration hydraulic roller.
The head gaskets were changed.
The oil pans were changed to Eickert 12 quart.
Brodix single plane intake.
Holly 1050 Dominator carb.
Eickert thermostatically controlled oil system.

The engines made a little over 625 HP and are still running very strong for the new owner of the boat after 160 hours.

Craig
Thanks Craig, Couple missing things. What did you degree the cam to? 108, 110, 112, 114 degree's
At what rpm did it make it's peak HP?
We have some similar specs in both of our ZZ502 motors. Some main differences are: I used the Edlebrock Air Gap dual plane manifold. Hard anodized, powder coated and port matched. 950 HP carb w/1" HVH spacer. KE cast exhaust.

Did you use the GM bow tie oval port heads? Where they ported? Good HP numbers from your motors. What was the peak torque?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks Craig, Couple missing things. What did you degree the cam to? 108, 110, 112, 114 degree's
At what rpm did it make it's peak HP?
We have some similar specs in both of our ZZ502 motors. Some main differences are: I used the Edlebrock Air Gap dual plane manifold. Hard anodized, powder coated and port matched. 950 HP carb w/1" HVH spacer. KE cast exhaust.

Did you use the GM bow tie oval port heads? Where they ported? Good HP numbers from your motors. What was the peak torque?
No idea on any of those questions although it was the GM heads (Edlebrock). I'll call the guys that did the motor and PM you the info. I've got the cam spec sheets. I can fax them to you if you'd like.

Craig
Old 09-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Registered

No idea on any of those questions although it was the GM heads (Edlebrock). I'll call the guys that did the motor and PM you the info. I've got the cam spec sheets. I can fax them to you if you'd like.

Craig
Thanks Craig, Fax number is: 734-281-9255. Usally the cam builder/grinder recommends the degree. Some designs/grinds have a certain amount of advance "built into" the cam. You are exactly correct. Edlebrock is the contracter supplying the aluminum heads (at least the oval CNC ported) to the GM performance parts people.

Quick Reply: The Chevy 572 Crate Motors in the Gladiator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.