Notices

Anyone know this Gun?

Old 08-09-2005, 12:40 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone know this Gun?

Originally Posted by chewy1955
I guess that this would mean that they are a pretty simple swap?
xr's are the HD version of the bravo 1... it will swap right out
Old 08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CignificantOther
Awesome looking boat! I almost purchased a similar boat, but the Bravos scared me away. Bravos are much lighter, faster, and more efficient than SSM's, but I didn't want to worry every time I ran the boat.

Exactly !......God forbid you should run a Top Gun in rough water !!! .......I love not having to worry about my drives
Old 08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
Exactly !......God forbid you should run a Top Gun in rough water !!! .......I love not having to worry about my drives

ME TOO!!!

Chewy, the Gun is treating us extremely well! we've had it out a few times and are having great fun with it. That is a really nice boat you're looking at. The problem with the guns are they are heavy and put a lot of load on the boat as you get it up on plane and re-enter the water after airing out. The stock bravo drive is only rated to 500hp. I had 650hp running through one and never had a problem but then again the boat only weighed like 4500 pounds. In my experience (through friends boats) Bravos & blowers= broken drives. Too much torque.

But like they said already, if you are mainly boating on a lake you dont have to worry about airing out too much. Though lakes are known for flat water and that also puts more load on the drive as well since the boat isnt sitting on top of the swells/large chop.

This may be another boat you might want to look at. They were asking 100k for it. Says the price has been dropped

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/9/79072799.htm

Grab a good mechanic and get the motors leaked down. Grab a good serveyer and have the boat serveyed to mostly insure theres no water in the hull (transom especially) and that the boat is in overall good condition.

Good luck bro, keep us posted on what happens.

Last edited by thisistank; 08-14-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

Tank that is not an origanal 3A boat somebody bought it repoed and was there project. I did my homework on that boat a long time ago, RUN. Steve
Old 08-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Nykamp
Tank that is not an origanal 3A boat somebody bought it repoed and was there project. I did my homework on that boat a long time ago, RUN. Steve
WOW, that is interesting INDEED!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A leakdown test is performed by pressurizing the cylinders through the spark plug holes one at a time with a calibrated amount of air and measuring the amount that leaks out of the cylinder. The air that leaks out can be traced to rings or valves by listening to the intake, exhaust and crankcase. This is usually done along with a compression test as the plugs are out anyway.
This is not an inexpensive procedure as the cylinders need to be brought to TDC compression by hand one at a time.
A qualified engine surveyor can give you your money's worth though as he will do infrared temp readings and oil pressure readings along with the compression and leakdown results.
As far as the B&M superchargers, I've had both of mine rebuilt with no problems getting the necessary parts. The shortcoming of the B&M units is that they have a fairly short lifespan between rebuilds. I pull the carbs and adaptors off at midseason and end-of-season to check for rotor and endplate scuffing.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know this Gun?-sotw-cigpic.jpg  

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 08-10-2005 at 10:17 AM.