Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
1990 Bullet >

1990 Bullet

Notices

1990 Bullet

Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Bullet

I have always liked the way a bullet looks, but have no knowledge of them. I would like to know the pros and cons with this boat. Ride, handling and such. I figures I would ask since I know no one with a Bullet. Thanks alot.

Last edited by mobilecal; 08-09-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Registered

Default Re: 1990 Bullet

Never had one, but have spent some time on Birdog's bullet and it was an awesome boat. They are solids boats you wont find a 31 foot boat that can handle the water like it does. I'd love to find one myself. I am sure that OldSchool and Birdog will chime in and can answer any questions you may have!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Thanks alot, like I said before I have always liked the way the Bullets have presented theirselves.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Registered

I have always loved the look of the bullet and the way they handle rough water while only being 31 feet which makes it easier to trialer and manuever. All in all they are great boats.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The bullet is a HUGE Heavy 31 footer. You wont find anything in that size range any tougher. Typical Cigarette Quality of Construction. Takes some HP to move them tho.....
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by birdog
The bullet is a HUGE Heavy 31 footer. You wont find anything in that size range any tougher. Typical Cigarette Quality of Construction. Takes some HP to move them tho.....
what are we talking about as far as hp? do you know the weight ?
Old 08-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Registered

Twin 550's will get you upper 70"s.
Very unique look and very heavy.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Birdog/Brad are absolutely correct. The 1st Bullet I bought is an '88 purchased in an estate sale back in '94. It needed some work but nothing major. 2 engines & r&r transom assy to replace steering parts etc. I was in heaven the 1st time out. Felt like I was riding on air in 2 foot swells.
Still have the '88 & bought another '89 Bullet needed "everything". The 2 year restoration process was rewarding. ( For Sale). The '88 has approx 650hp & will put ya back in the bolster. The '89 has stock 365 mags...what a huge difference.
These boats are in the 10,000 lb range & do require hp's to move it. My '89 is into the hi 70's low 80's pending chop. The '89 is hi 50's-low 60's. These boats have no problem with rough water at all !!!!
The cabin layout is mint & can easily sleep 4 people. With the enclosed head it pleases the girlfriends/wifes peacefully. Although it is kind of small it serves its purpose. Not to mention the "BJ" chair". The engine compartment is awesome, the back of the rear bench seat is part of the hatch. Very accessible.
The only bad thing I can think of is the design of the upholstery bases. They have a tendency to rot out. An older non restored Bullet will will need reconstruction of the wood frame for the engine hatch/back seat. The bottom base of the rear bench (between battery switch panel) rests on the cockpit floor & will wick water. As well as the very top of the bench base. When these were made, the ends of the plywood were not beveled to allow fiberglass to correctly bond leaving air gaps...thus water seepage to rot out the wood. I was totally anal when it came to doing this just to make it last longer than it should.
The head is another small issue. The holding tank is rather small but serves the purpose. If its original, the tank will be corroded on the bottom. It is mounted with welded in "L" brackets directly on a flat pad. It would help if it was spaced up with rubber bushings to avoid shock and contact from the pad. Gets really rough in the cabin while under way. You will find everything all over the cabin unless you use the factory net attached to the cabin bench seat.
Towing: If it does not have a trailer, do not under spec. I personally went with a 14K capacity tri-axle. At least brakes on 2 axles. The more the merrier. To pull, I personally have a crew cab dually. At least a 2500 series truck..although a 3500 would be much better.
Sorry if I'm rambling on here but it may give you some insight on what to look for. If you have any questions, pm/email me. I'll be a little hard to get ahold this week.
Stan
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

Stan,

Do you have a Bullet for sale? If so, please email me the specs and all the pics you have.

Thanks!

Clay
Email: [email protected]
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

What they said!! Bullets are GREAT boats and (IMHO) are the best 31 foot boat out there. They run like a much larger boat.....and you can have the big red 1 on your boat for short $$$.

Quick Reply: 1990 Bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.