Question for the Cig experts

Old 09-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts
Default Re: Question for the Cig experts

Originally Posted by HMJudge
If I can help call me 757 894 1066
Harry can answer just about anything. (HMJudge)

Harry, it is GREAT to see you out and about in the community!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Hurley
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat I was interested in was a 1994 with bravos. I was originally wanting to know if this thing had been converted. Went out to Dallas last week to take a look. What a mess it was! The only thing it had going for it was the original bravo drives.

My Gun search continues.

Last edited by hurleyr; 09-23-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 744 Likes on 336 Posts

Hurley,
Did you look at the TG at Extreme Marine ? The engines looked a mess from the photos they sent me.

ed
Old 09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Hurley,
Did you look at the TG at Extreme Marine ? The engines looked a mess from the photos they sent me.

ed
Yep,
It was a complete joke. I called them a week prior to let them know I was coming out from California and wanted to water test the boat. Had my checkbook in hand and was ready to buy that thing providing it ran OK. The bar wasn't that high. All I really needed was to know it was complete given that I planned to restore most everything.

So, I get there on Monday and the sales people didn't even know I was coming. Mind you I had made several phone calls and sent several e-mails to the owner of the boat and salesman for that matter. There should have been no doubt I was coming.

So, I peel the cover off to find the boat full of water. I mean about 2 feet full wet from the transom to the cabin. Apparently they left the plugs in and had a rain storm a few weeks back. Ok, so they need a few hours to drain the water, Oh and charge the apparently new batteries that are dead. Most likely the dead batteries was from a short caused by the water. All the gauges and electrical were wet.

So, I'm talking to the mechanic who is pissed because he said that someone came out to look at this thing about a month ago and the same thing happend. That time they couldn't get one motor running. Apparently, frozen starter.

So, they finally get it running and their mechanic fires off about ten 5K revs (on each motor) about 10 seconds into the warm up. Boy did that impress me. Nothing like hammering a cold motor. At this point I just left. Didn't say a word just left.

The thing that really scared me off the most was the water soaking in the boat for weeks. All the dry rot horror stories I've heard on these boards kept running through my head. I did find wet wood under the cockpit. It was also clear the guys who regularly work on that boat are slap stick mechanics (I won't even begin to discuss this).

The funny thing is that if they had just cleaned the boat up a bit and had it running that day I would have bought it and not known about all the water.

Also, the guy who owns the boat wasn't willing to budge on the price. I figured that would be the least he could due given the fiasco. He said his buddy already said he would pay the asking price. After, that comment I told him to sell it to his buddy and it was a done deal for me.

Seriously, if anyone is interested in that boat PM me. I'll give you more information. Right now I'm looking at paying more for a cleaner boat or at least to buy one from someone that has a clue.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Almost forgot, its not an original 100 hour "freshwater" boat, as advertised. Although, I kinda knew that before I went out to see the thing.

Unbelievable!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. What a story.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Originally Posted by expresscat39
Wow. What a story.
Yup, clearly they didn't want to sell that boat very badly.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 744 Likes on 336 Posts

Hurley,
I checked into that boat back in May when it was first listed. The pictures looked good and a board member looked at it for me also. They could not open the engine hatch due to dead batteries per dealer. Anyway asked a number of times for pictures of engine compartment and finally receive two and the engines looked as though they were corroded considerably more than 100 hour fresh water engine should look. I question this and the dealer stood by the low hour claim.
I though the owner may have swapped engines for the sale.

ed
Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Hurley
Gold Member

Hurley,
I checked into that boat back in May when it was first listed. The pictures looked good and a board member looked at it for me also. They could not open the engine hatch due to dead batteries per dealer. Anyway asked a number of times for pictures of engine compartment and finally receive two and the engines looked as though they were corroded considerably more than 100 hour fresh water engine should look. I question this and the dealer stood by the low hour claim.
I though the owner may have swapped engines for the sale.

ed
LMAO, I bet your friend was the guy they said came to look at it and they couldn't get it to start.

I was kinda wondering why you so easily sent me the pics of the boat you were looking at. I should have discussed this thing with you before I went out there.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hurley,

ed
Is this the boat?

http://www.boats.com/sites/xtreme/ga...e&showMD=false

Quick Reply: Question for the Cig experts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.