Why doesn't Cigarette race? >

Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Notices

Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Anybody can turn the screws & bolt the bolts...We pay guys like Tres for knowledge & little "secrets" whats wrong with that ?
That being said...Tres doesnt know me from Adam but has come to the phone several times to help me with stupid questions. I have ALOT of respect for that !....Phil has also. 2 topnotch experts in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
Have you been to the Cigarette factory lately. there is one badass looking boat there that doesn't look like it is setup for your average evening cruise
That's the new 45 right? They are working on some "options" with that boat.....I guess we'll see what unfolds.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i could be wrong, but didnt 3, if not all 4 (but i think 3) of the 2000 twin step F-2's roll or sink racing?? Including LS.... The thought of racing our F-2 has been shot around but that stat makes me a little nervous

Steve jr
Old 12-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 622 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
That's the new 45 right? They are working on some "options" with that boat.....I guess we'll see what unfolds.
I think it is a prototype for racing he didn't talk much about it.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h20 toie
No beak but it does have an enclosed cockpit and big motors
maybe they are going for the kilo runs along with OL! -that might be a joke...
Old 12-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
Otis if you are talking about the old Virgin Gladiator that boat has been every which way but upright since Tres sold it for Todd. I watch it spin twice pitching the guys. Something was changed on that boat before it left Tres' shop. Some secret solution to its problems is missing. I don't know what it is or how much you would have to pay Tres. But he is the only one who knows. And good luck getting any info for free from him...

NO, That is not the boat I am interested in. I have had nothing but kind and professional service from Tres and Jackie and Tres has helped me out in the past with his knowledge of rehabbing older Guns w/o billing me or turning me away !!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Registered

Right on Top Banana -

And I might add that my 88 Cafe is still as solid as new - I wonder how long those light and thin hulled Fountains will last. They are built for river racing not ocean pounding. Its aslo risky to run a series that had to re-invent itself over the lase three years and sponsors like to see stablity and crowds - Ocean racing is impossible to view unless its on TV and that is where the REAL sponsorship money is - "TV rights" Give it some time. Mclarens F1 team got whooped the year the built a new factory but look at them now.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that is crazy it didnt look like u were even turning remotly hard, that is sketchy..

Originally Posted by dhlaw
I can assure you that Phil spun that boat...maybe not in a race but he spun it. I say that because every boat that I have bought that has been raced has been over, now some would say that it was due to inexperience but that would not explain why Tres, Bob, Todd, etc went over also. The Virgin boat was the worst. First, Tres got sideways a few times in testing, then Kevin King and Gil Leiber almost got killed in a GLSCS race, the Diamond Dave and Val spun, and then Bruce and I got tossed..... That boat will spank you the minute you stop paying close attention. My Super V went over with the Rodriguez team, then with Bob Bull so many times he joked about painting a canopy on the bottom!!! Brian Hollis took a few, Dick Simon took a nice swim with Stinson on the sticks, on and on and on....... I think quite a few Cigs have been over in testing and fear of hurting resale has kept lips shut tight. Now this is not to say that in the right hands these boats can be competitive, but the right hands are Todd and Tres or Bob...... the rest of us mere mortals better know how to swim after a 80mph hit or how to breathe on oxygen inverted until the cabin fills up enough to push the hatch open. Thats a fact.

Take a look and tell me what went wrong..... slow turn, no interruption in water (we were in 1st), no wacky control inputs.... Its a design flaw.

http://media.putfile.com/ejection
Old 12-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

Old 12-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Registered

Why do you think that Fountain is in business? They made a name in racing and Reggie throws money to keep that name. Sure, it may be a little unfair that he stacks a starting grid with his boats. If any other manuf. felt that they could take the market from Reggie by doing the same, don't you think they would?
If the races venue changed to open ocean, I imagine that Fountain would build a hull that would dominate there as well.
Cigarette may very well be the icon. Fountain is still the fastest...

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Cigarette race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.