Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG >

Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

Notices

Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

Rob, (Rice Hauler) you are pretty well versed in the 2000 Guns so I'll sort of aim this at you but anyone feel free to chime in with info. It sounds like the 2000 was sold in several configurations regarding, bottoms, cabins and dashes (and I think I've seen most of them for sale at one time or another). You mentioned that the single step was laid up from the original straight mold but with the single step modification added. Here's my questions;

Was the 2000 TS built from a new mold or was it also a hybrid off of the original straight bottom mold with the steps added?

Are there any particular things to be wary of on a 2000 single or twin step?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

i would like to know the answer to this question i was wondering the exact same thing!! And how does the 2000 twin step vary from today, and how many different bottoms has the ts tg had??
Old 12-10-2005, 08:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Rob, (Rice Hauler) you are pretty well versed in the 2000 Guns so I'll sort of aim this at you but anyone feel free to chime in with info. It sounds like the 2000 was sold in several configurations regarding, bottoms, cabins and dashes (and I think I've seen most of them for sale at one time or another). You mentioned that the single step was laid up from the original straight mold but with the single step modification added. Here's my questions;

Was the 2000 TS built from a new mold or was it also a hybrid off of the original straight bottom mold with the steps added?

Are there any particular things to be wary of on a 2000 single or twin step?
I'd like to know if this bottom changes on the 42 as well

Lot's of "EXPERTS" lurking around the CIG boards running something other So what's the real deal on the TS Step Straight...Once and for alllllll
Old 12-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

no takers
Old 12-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Evenin' Folks,
The 2000 Single Step was from The Original Straight Bottom Mold with an Insert placed in it to "make" a Step.
If you look at one closely you can see that the step is rather shallow, Perpendicular, and also very sharp. Not angled forward like the subsequent Michael Peters Designed Twin Step Bottom.
As was explained to me when I purchased the boat it was more of an exercise and not necessarily something that was going into full production. Hence also the short run.
The only other thing that was Positive about the Single Step boats was the fact that they were some of the first Vacuum Bagged Boats that Cig did and consequently rather light when compared to the Previous Straight Bottom boats of the same year that were 10,000+ and my Single Step weighed in at less than 9000 with an Extended Covergirl Cabin.
The 2001 Twin Steps were the First from the Completely New Molds. Even the 2000 Twin Steps (Miami Two Step is the only one that I can think of out of the Old Mold) were still from the Original Modified Straight Bottom Molds.
Here's an easy way to tell. Look at the Hull Overlap at the Transom of any 2000 or earlier Top Gun. The difference from side to side is nearly an inch. the transom is not straight. Also there was at least one 1999 that had "Special Inserts" in the bottom in an attempt to aerate the Hull. Not really Steps just Beveled Inserts in the Strakes, But I think that it was strictly a One Off Boat. A Friend of mine owned it.
I'm anxious to see a full report on the "new" 38 GT and see what those changes do to the Boat.
Having had the privledge of owning a Straight, Single, and Twin, I really find it hard to believe that there could be something Better. But hey I was skeptical of Steps till I Owned one. So who knows.
Best,
Robert Shin
a.k.a. Rice Hauler
The following users liked this post:
H20W8STER (05-07-2020)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Rice Hauler,
Some good info. My 2000 straight bottom was vacuum bagged as well.It was fast for a straight bottom 500EFI boat.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Hey Rob, I never knew Chet's boat was from the original mold. That always confused me when he AND you had the first twin stepped gun! Now I get it.

Can you talk about the handling aspect of the single step? Problematic I understand??
Old 12-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've noticed the "inserts" on the strakes of the 1999 model, that has been for sale in the past. Did the modifications to the strakes increase speed or a waste of time???
Old 12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Rob, I knew you could give some insight as to the history and evolution of the TG.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

rice hauler then can you explain this boat ?? http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-7045.html

Quick Reply: Straight vs. Single Step vs. TS TG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.