Notices

Red 28' Cig w OBs? Who knows this boat

Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red 28' Cig w OBs? Who knows this boat

Hi All,

I'm thinking of doing a partial resto on a mid 70s 28 cig w 300 OBs
I would keep the OBs but run new powerheads.

Does anyone know this red boat? Any info on previous owners, history and current condition?

I don't mind doing cosmetics and motors but I would prefer to stay out of the floors stringers and transom.

Of course I will have a structural survey done on it.

There is a 30' Superboat w 2x300 OBs here and he claims 83 mph

The other question I have is how does a 28 cig run and handle at 80 mph? I boat in bay/sound waters, not much over 3' rarely 5'.

PM me w specific info.

I posted too much info about another boat I was looking at and suddenly the owner had a slew of email days after mine showed up, with no activity for months prior.

Thanks
Evan
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Red 28' Cig w OBs? Who knows this boat

Evan, I think a 30SB is built alot lighter than a 28cig.
There is also two other boats that may be in better condition, that are similar to this cig. There is a cig and 28apache w/ obs in eastern LI.

516.783.6701 Greg, he should be very reasonable for a surveyor.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Cigarette ever made a 28 with outboards.

When I re-rigged mine, I actually toyed with the idea of converting it to twin 300's or a single Yanmar with an Arneson drive. Everyone and thier cousin came out of the woodwork telling me not to do this because it was a hell of alot more work than just throwing some eggbeaters on the back. It would completely change the center of gravity. The diesel conversion was more involved because of the added length. So unless this outboard conversion has been done in a way to take this into account, I would sea trial this at great length to ensure its what you are looking for. Just my .02
Old 03-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

We had a 28 cigarette with twins on a bracket and it ran like a CHAMP. I know the boat didn't come like that from factory, but it was a well done conversion. 3- 5 footers for this boat was a breeze. Ours ran low 70's with twin 250 johnson's. hope this helps

jr mike
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregsz
Hi All,

I'm thinking of doing a partial resto on a mid 70s 28 cig w 300 OBs
I would keep the OBs but run new powerheads.

Does anyone know this red boat? Any info on previous owners, history and current condition?

I don't mind doing cosmetics and motors but I would prefer to stay out of the floors stringers and transom.

Of course I will have a structural survey done on it.

There is a 30' Superboat w 2x300 OBs here and he claims 83 mph

The other question I have is how does a 28 cig run and handle at 80 mph? I boat in bay/sound waters, not much over 3' rarely 5'.

PM me w specific info.

I posted too much info about another boat I was looking at and suddenly the owner had a slew of email days after mine showed up, with no activity for months prior.

Thanks
Evan
why woud you want a 28 cig with outboards? i have a 28 for sale right now with twin 350 mpi's and bravos. just dropped the price. boat is beautiful and runs great! i can't see running in 3 to 5's with outboards being a breeze. sure they are not 1 to 2's?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshore whore
why woud you want a 28 cig with outboards? i have a 28 for sale right now with twin 350 mpi's and bravos. just dropped the price. boat is beautiful and runs great! i can't see running in 3 to 5's with outboards being a breeze. sure they are not 1 to 2's?
I like outboards and I like V8 OMCs.
Personally I would take a pair of 300 OBs to 350 I/Os
I think SBCs are a waste in a boat, cerainly a waste under 450 hp, (you can stroke a 350 to a 396 fairly easily though)

If you have some prejudice against OBs in offshore conditions you can look at all the OB racing cats.

But if you are willing to match the price of the Outboard boat, I'll take it.

I know the difference between 2 feet and 3 feet, it's your wife who you've fooled to think that 4" is 7"s
Old 03-09-2006, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 36 with twin 300hp V8 OMC's that I am trying to convert to big blocks. Boat ran about 60 and handled beautifully when it ran. Kept melting pistons and after 6 years and every decent mechanic I know looking at it, we are not sure why but think that the 24 inch 4 bladers were too much prop to get out of the water, they also hit the rev limiters. Smaller props and the boat was awful. I later found out that the last 2 owners had sold the boat for the same reason.

You may be okay as the boat is probably much lighter but all I am saying is do your homework and make sure the boat didn't have issues. I learnt the expensive way. I replaced almost everything with new.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Registered

300 OMCs need to be propped to be able to rev above 6000 rpm, if you lug them with too much prop they will die.
If you need info on these motors contact Alan Stoker he has a column in powerboat magazine, or can be found on scream and fly.
He is the OMC GURU.
If you need big block power, check biggie marine motors in the oso classifieds. some 598s will move that baby along.

maybe add one or 2 more OB V8s hanging on the back will help that.

Thanks
Evan
Old 03-09-2006, 02:15 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dregsz
I like outboards and I like V8 OMCs.
Personally I would take a pair of 300 OBs to 350 I/Os
I think SBCs are a waste in a boat, cerainly a waste under 450 hp, (you can stroke a 350 to a 396 fairly easily though)

If you have some prejudice against OBs in offshore conditions you can look at all the OB racing cats.

But if you are willing to match the price of the Outboard boat, I'll take it.

I know the difference between 2 feet and 3 feet, it's your wife who you've fooled to think that 4" is 7"s
i was never bad mouthing OBs. i just saw you wanted a 28 cig and i am trying to sell mine.

now for you to compare a 28 cig with OB's to racing cats with OB's is a crazy comparison. i boat on Lake Michigan, i don't know where you boat but i go out in real 3 to 5's and it's fun but it is no freakin breeze like you say it is unless your a better driver then everyone else on this site.

also i am not married so maybe it was your wife i convinced 4" is 7"s. tell her to stop calling me.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Registered

My wife knows 4"s on the rare occasion she sees it. but could you please teach her a few new tricks while your at it?
I'll take any help I can get.

still reads like you were bad mouthing OB performance in rough water.

If you reread my original post you'll see what size water I described my regular boating as, and it was not as you think it was claimed.

Originally Posted by offshore whore
i was never bad mouthing OBs. i just saw you wanted a 28 cig and i am trying to sell mine.

now for you to compare a 28 cig with OB's to racing cats with OB's is a crazy comparison. i boat on Lake Michigan, i don't know where you boat but i go out in real 3 to 5's and it's fun but it is no freakin breeze like you say it is unless your a better driver then everyone else on this site.

also i am not married so maybe it was your wife i convinced 4" is 7"s. tell her to stop calling me.

Quick Reply: Red 28' Cig w OBs? Who knows this boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.