Cafe Racer question

Notices

Cafe Racer question

Old 07-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cafe Racer question

I have been watching Cafe Racers for sale for over a year now. I am ready to purchase another boat but not many cafes are selling. Is it too high a asking price or are buyers stepping up to the 38 Top Gun instead. I am interested in purchasing but do not want to buy something that I can never sell. I have no experience with a boat of this size. What are the important items to look for?
Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cafe Racer question

Originally Posted by rslick
I have been watching Cafe Racers for sale for over a year now. I am ready to purchase another boat but not many cafes are selling. Is it too high a asking price or are buyers stepping up to the 38 Top Gun instead. I am interested in purchasing but do not want to buy something that I can never sell. I have no experience with a boat of this size. What are the important items to look for?
Thanks
I think what you are seeing is a buyers market on used boats. The prices on these cafe aren't to high.There just aren't alot of people buying used boats right now. You'll never go wrong with a cafe. Just my .02 Good luck
Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not just Cafe's, I think it's all boats in general. I've never seen so many boats for sale at one time on OSO.

I think it's just a sign of the times.

There are 1200+ boats for sale today. In early 2005, there were about 600-700 at any one time.

Same with boat trader. 117,552 boats for sale today, in early 2005, there were about 70,000.

As with any boat, the most important items are hull strength and integrity - no damage, no water intrusion, no rot. A survey is a must, with moisture readings.

Boats demanding the higher prices should have 100% all of the systems working and operationsl, every switch, system, plumbing, lights, etc. and should have good strong newer power. I've noticed that most boats seem to sell easier with stock power unless of course you're in the elite class of boats (newer boats, sick crazy power, cost no object). One thing about smaller engine builders of non-stock engines is that there is always an uncertainty factor for the buyer - and it can be regional, too, a certain well-known engine-builder in one area, may not be known elsewhere, etc.

You can't go wrong with a cafe. It's a terrific boat, with an incredible ride. It's a big, comfortable 35' with classic lines. I love mine. No complaints.

Last edited by CigDaze; 07-12-2006 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Registered

There is a lot of mixed emotions on the economy right now, oil prices have people jittery, not so much from the price as the recent run up, and the possibility prices can go through the roof and the economic outcome of that happening.

Right now is a risky time to buy, prices could plummet or come back to normal. I think the statement "there are not many racers for sale right now" could be "there are not many boats selling right now" at least in the performance industry, the boating and recreational (low end run about) market is still average to strong. The high end fishing boat market is also laging significantly.

In this market someone is taking far greater risk than average, buyers and sellers both are saying "prices could plummet or skyrocket". However many buyers have notes on their boat, meaning they can not lower prices significantly. This causes a stagnant market. Thisis what happens i nthe housing market, and while housing prices seldom fall, but can remain stangant for several years after a rapid run up.

It appears a significant number of the buyers in the performance boat world have decided the risk is to great right now at current prices, and sellers have not accepted this risk is sufficient enough to lower prices to a point buyers will take that risk, or can not because they lack the added funds to pay of the note on the boat they wish to sell. As such, not a lot is moving. There will always be some movement, but the time it takes to sell one is greater now than usual.

I predict by fall the prices will plummet or come back up, but realistically I am not sure which, there is about a 50/50 chance of either. The market is saying it is far better to pay more later in a stable market, than take a beating later when prices fall through the floor, this is a normal reaction to instability. Paying more for a product with a stable value is smarter than paying less for something that is declining rapidly in value. It will take a significant event to significantly lower boat prices in the high end arena, but it will take very little to cause them to stagnate.

Everyone may not be doing this analysis, but they are living in this environment. This a common reaction in these conditions.

Unfortunately, know what is does litle to help with knowing what to do about it.

Last edited by dean51267; 07-12-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Registered

I predict by fall the prices will plummet or come back up, but realistically I am not sure which, there is about a 50/50 chance of either.
Do you wear a helmet while straddling the fence?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by eyezlee

often...

but refer to wait on the side lines till the picture becomes more clear......
Old 07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by eyezlee
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 3,269 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Putting the economical issues aside...Obviously if you are in the market to buy this type of boat you are not really too worried about gas prices etc.

Anyway, I was in the market for a Cafe for over 2 years a little over a year ago (up to the point I bought our Gun). I looked at a lot of different cafe's for sale and actually almost jumped on cig daze's boat. I see (and hear from broakers) three issues:
1) Cafe's are becoming older and older every year. They stopped making them right around 94/95.
2) Alot of people want stepped bottom boats and newer technology.
3) The prices on Cafes have been fairly stable for the last few years. right around 100k for a nice set up. But for that same price you can get a little less as nice (but same vintage), or a little older (but nicer) Top Gun. Now you get into the issue of the fact Top Guns are "still made" (though not the same model). And it is a strong likely hood this makes people feel the re-sale of a Gun will be easier because the name "Top Gun" is still being sold as a new boat and most likely, will be for a very long time.

I personally see nothing wrong with buying a Cafe. I still absolutely love the lines, the ride and the handling. I would say it's definatley a good time to buy too. It's a buyers market right now.

Things I looked at when buying a Cafe:

TRS boat vs. Bravo boat. I personally wanted Bravos. A lot of people love the TRS's but it's a fact they are becoming extremely out dated.

Cabin: Cafe's came with two different style cabin interiors. 87-91/92 had long benching on each side and a bed forward. 91/92 through 95 had the bed forward smaller bench starboard side, two facing seats with table port side, head, and large ice chest area with a small sink. I personally think the newer cabins were the best cabin in any performance boat ever built. It's the same one I have in my Gun.

in the post 91/92 Cafe's (and guns) they went from the stainless round bar "life line/grab handles" around the engine hatch which were changed to the newer flat style powdercoated bars.

Many of the pre 92 Cafe's had black gauges and dash components. easy fix to update but can be costly.

motor package. post 92 cafes usually had better engine packages.

That's my take on it. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up getting. Again, great choice with the Cafe!

oh, and one more thing. You say you dont want to buy something that will never re-sell. You really never have to worry about that with a Cig. They are by far one of the best re-selling boats built. Even with the above mentioned issues. You may take a small hit over the years but it wont just sit if you list it right. And if you buy it right you may just do well.

Last edited by thisistank; 07-12-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Cigarette.

The resale value will always be there !

Also it's not what you pay for the boat, it's what you spend on it after you own it that puts you under the bus. Engine & drive problems always show up, unless you get one under warranty. The rule of thumb is you'll get you money back for you purchase price, but what you spend on it is money out the window. If your lucky you will have no problems & be ahead of the game in the future.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the reponses. All the information is appreciated and I will let you all know if and when a purchase happens.
THanks

Quick Reply: Cafe Racer question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.