trailering a 38 Cig

Notices

trailering a 38 Cig

Old 08-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default trailering a 38 Cig

Hey guys.
Looks like I am closing a deal on a 93 Kevlar hull 38 TG within the next couple weeks. I have a 2006 F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke with a single rear wheel. Will that pull this adequately? Trailer is a little longer than typical; it has one of those outdrive gurads/rail things....

What is the total weight I am looking at in that set up?
What kind of tongue weight will it have?

Heaviest I have pulled is a tracked Bobcat T250 that weighs just under 10k lbs. It seemed to pull that pretty good.

Thoughts?
Thanks guys!
Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

You will be fine towing such. You will probably want to add rear air bag helper springs; either from Air-Lift or Firestone. This will keep your truck from squatting so much, and bounce/rebound due to weight transfer when hitting a big bump.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Registered

Ok, thank you.... I will look into those....
Doubtful I could get them in time for me to haul this thing, but you seem to think it will be ok without? Thanks again
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Any local truck soup-up (wheels/tires/lift) shop should be able to install them for you in a couple hours. Expect to pay $400 installed without an onboard compressor, and an additional $150-200 to integrate a compressor.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:29 AM
mjb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an all glass '97 TG. I pull it with my stock 2001 Tahoe. I only pull around town and I would not go too far with this set up....I sure know it's back there when I'm towing but it does the job. My tongue weight seems pretty low. My rear bumber does not squat too much with the load. Your boat is lighter and your truck is heavier. I think you will be ok.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mjb
I have an all glass '97 TG. I pull it with my stock 2001 Tahoe. I only pull around town and I would not go too far with this set up....I sure know it's back there when I'm towing but it does the job. My tongue weight seems pretty low. My rear bumber does not squat too much with the load. Your boat is lighter and your truck is heavier. I think you will be ok.
Hey Byrdman... you can have this one!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are fine ....you don't need air bags ....in fact your truck probably has the helper springs already on it if you ordered the tow package.Just position the the boat properly on the trailer to add or remove weight from the tongue(about 500lbs is desired).The better question is ....Does it have a diesel?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 346 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JOETWINT
You are fine ....you don't need air bags ....in fact your truck probably has the helper springs already on it if you ordered the tow package.Just position the the boat properly on the trailer to add or remove weight from the tongue(about 500lbs is desired).The better question is ....Does it have a diesel?
I've gotta agree.

No airbags here and it doesn't squat at all. Heck, it tows like a dream!!!! I have a 2500 Duramax/Allison and a '88 Kevlar Top Gun.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Glad to hear that!
Stupid question but I guess I would have to play with it at the ramp to move the boat a little but up or back for changing the tongue weight? In my little 26 I used to have, I once moved it up a little by rolling forward and nailing the brakes to move it up afew inches...

Yes, it has the 6.0 L powerstroke.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree too.
I have a 05 F350 diesel. It twos my Top Gun w/ alum Myco just fine. Does'nt squat but about 1.5" and rides awsome w/ boat in tow.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Quick Reply: trailering a 38 Cig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.