Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Mistress Transom Rot >

Mistress Transom Rot

Notices

Mistress Transom Rot

Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Mistress Transom Rot

Hey guys,found some transom rot on starboard side of Mistress today.Looks like about 20 percent rot on total transom.Anybody tackled this before?I think best to replace whole transom.Big job!!!!Any help would be greeeatly appreciated.Will forward some pics tomorrow.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I have a friend that had it done to a cafe. I can get the number of the guy that did the work. Supposidly it was a fairly big job but not the nightmare you may think. They basically cut the transom off, take some of the wood out of the sides and stringers and fill it in, build a new transom. When done you'd never know.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered

Just had the transom done on my mistress last year. The entire transom was replaced. What a difference. Glad it was done.. Well worth the investment if done by someone who is qualified in that field. Good Luck!!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lip-Ship called yesterday and the entire transom on my 24 Fire Fox is rotted the are replacing the entire transom.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=172129

Checkout the last page.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM

The Bad and the Ugly.Think I might try and cut the glass out from the inside,scrape all the wood out and pay someone to do the rest.Anyone tried to glass one back in on their own?
Attached Thumbnails Mistress Transom Rot-boat-ac-dogs-018.jpg  
Old 01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a messy job, but not terrible if you have the right tools. And putting the new one in isn't that bad at all once all your wood it cut and fit. You can use your existing holes to pull the new transom to the old glass. Check your stringers to make sure there is no rot there either.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Drilled both stringers and they are dry.Guess they glassed them on the ends.Thank God!!Plan is a 2 weekend tear out and a 2 weekend install.Think I will hold my breath.Will keep posted with pics for any helpful info from you guys.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justice
The Bad and the Ugly.Think I might try and cut the glass out from the inside,scrape all the wood out and pay someone to do the rest.Anyone tried to glass one back in on their own?
I know some one that can fix it. Were do you live?He's in N.J.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM

I live in Navarre,Fl.Long haul for me to N.J. Anybody know someone in the panhandle area?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Day one transom tear out

Four hrs in on day one of transom tear out,have removed all the rot but as you can see alot of good wood left to come out.Would not wish this on my worst enemy!!!!Well maybe!!Good news is stringers have no rot,looks like the ends we glassed up at factory.Any input on how to offset plywood pieces when I go back in.Full pieces will not fit because of hatch configuration.
Attached Thumbnails Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-001.jpg   Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-004.jpg   Mistress Transom Rot-transom-replacement-003.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mistress Transom Rot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.