90s Cafe - Looking for Buying Advice

Notices

90s Cafe - Looking for Buying Advice

Old 08-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90s Cafe - Looking for Buying Advice

Hello everybody - Probably the newest guy here and I would really appreciate some advice. I recently decided to start shopping for a 35'+ boat for use on the Great Lakes. My goal is to find something I can use on any given day and not on just the days with 2' or less, I don't need to go blindingly fast, I want to stay well into the 5-digit price range as I will be keeping my current express cruiser for those times when I need a lot of room, and I don't want a salty dog. I had a chance to ride on a Cafe last year and really liked it so I am now actively looking.

I'm looking at a few boats - two that particularly interest me are an early 90s boat with carb 502s and Bravos and a mid-90s boat with Bravos, 502 MPIs and blowers; neither boat has a genny or AC and the older one does not have a swim platform but both reportedly have good mechanicals and vinyl. I am told that the carb boat showed "some" moisture in the transom and I am trying to chase down what is meant by "some". I plan to have a full survey before I write any checks.

In addition to any advice you might have (please don't tell me to buy a Baja, it's not going to happen), please let me know your thoughts on price (especially given that any deal won't close until nearly Labor Day and we lay up here in October). I'm especially stumped given the difference between NADA numbers and list prices - I know people hate to part with their toys (I do) but what is with the huge (140% of NADA average) mark-ups out there?

Thanks in advance for any input and I look forward to getting to know you guys.

Regards,

Dave B.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Most older boats will have "some" moisture, usually from exhaust tips letting the water into transom, even lift and trailer kept ones.

I have a friend selling a nice Cafe, see SKRAMER's post.

oh yea...... I have a Baja!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 396 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Most older boats will have "some" moisture, usually from exhaust tips letting the water into transom, even lift and trailer kept ones.

I have a friend selling a nice Cafe, see SKRAMER's post.

oh yea...... I have a Baja!!!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=187678
Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 814 Likes on 377 Posts

I can only tell you about my experience but....

When I was shopping I made a list of things I wanted on the boat - things that were upgrades that cost several thousand dollars. These included items such as updated guages, vinyl, swim platform, hydraulic steering, and switchable exhaust. I made sure to find a boat with as many of these important items as I could so that I didn't have to buy the boat and come up with another 5, 10, 15k to get these things.

Just like buying anything make sure the mechanicals are in good shape - as you surely know there is a lot of financial liability if a drive lets loose or worse - an engine. Moisture/survey/etc... all very important.

NADA values are probably a decent starting point but the important thing is to find that fair market value - comparable boat sales are much more relevant. This is a total stab in the dark but I would imagine that most boats sell for 85% of asking price (excluding fire sales, inflated broker listings, and the just plain ignorant boat owner pricing). If you are buying in October and then immediately laying it up for 8 months my opinion is that the value of that time and money is 4-6k in insurance and interest if you are buying a boat in the 65-80 range which you probably are. Factor that into your price....

If you aren't looking for anything "blindingly" fast than you are probably looking at the right boat. I absolutely LOVE my Cafe - good choice.

P.S. - we don't have AC and have spent the night on the boat every single weekend since July 4th, and Virginia has some hot/humid summers and it is always pleasant.

I sent an email to a guy on here when he was searching for cafes just kind of listing the pros and cons of my boat - if you want me to forward it to you shoot me an email to ekancarrow at cox.net

ERIC

Last edited by seafordguy; 08-04-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Cut out the orig. message quote - the post was WAY too long
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Attached Thumbnails 90s Cafe - Looking for Buying Advice-cafe%2520326.jpg  
Old 08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for the input. Funny that someone would mention Scott's boat - he is the one that got me thinking about it (Scott - if you are reading this, I'm the guy at LYC that always has a cup of coffee ready - we were sorry to miss you two weeks ago as we were in Geneva). Seafordguy, I will follow up with you as I am not married to this make/model but I think I do want a deep-v, non-stepped hull in the 35' to 40' range.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DucBoy
Thanks for the input. Funny that someone would mention Scott's boat - he is the one that got me thinking about it (Scott - if you are reading this, I'm the guy at LYC that always has a cup of coffee ready - we were sorry to miss you two weeks ago as we were in Geneva). Seafordguy, I will follow up with you as I am not married to this make/model but I think I do want a deep-v, non-stepped hull in the 35' to 40' range.
I was wondering where you guys where. Lets make a deal. I'm ready to move up. Welcome to the board!! Give me a call 440 255 8855

Last edited by SKRAMER; 08-04-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Do you want that OuterLimits at National Liquidators? I could probably get you a deal on it.... Seriously, drop me a line with your number and we should plan to get together some time this summer (my wife is still furious that I got a ride and she didn't - she is actually the one pushing toward a go-fast).
Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cigarette does a very good job of sealing transom cutouts. There should be minimal moisture in there. The one issue with all Cig 35's is there's one tab mount bolt that does not go thru- it's a stainless lag that screws into the end of the stringer. Cigarette seals them very well- but if they've been messed with, that's where they'll leak. Most of the rotten 35 transoms I've seen have started at that point. The rest have been from speedo pickups, transducers, etc. screwed to the transom.

As far as drivelines go, the combination of Bravos and blowers on a heavy boat like the Cig would lead to having to deal with broken drives on a fairly regular basis.

On buying a boat- Buy what you want, don't buy something that's nice and in good running shape and try to make it into what you want- you'll throw a ton of money away in the process.

Quick Reply: 90s Cafe - Looking for Buying Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.