36 Gladiator vs. Donzi 38 ZR

Notices

36 Gladiator vs. Donzi 38 ZR

Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
ran 93.,,won it's class, only boat in the class, probably would have run more if there was some competition but all took a back seat to Fountain this year, wasn't even close.
What class was that? I was going to run Sunday but decided not to when I understood I'd be put in the same class as Stampede w/1075's.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omerta one
What class was that? I was going to run Sunday but decided not to when I understood I'd be put in the same class as Stampede w/1075's.
Did you check at Tech Inspection?

Stampede is considered in the "professional" class

You should have been classed in the "Non Professional" class and therefore not running against it except for title of V top gun.

I'll check the class the Donzi was in, but it wasn't classed the same as Stampede.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told I would have been in the P class.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

You would have been in the "NP" class.

Grant Freeman's new 38ZR w/700's ran 104 the first run
and 106 the second....he took home the prize in that class.

The ZRC ran on Saturday only, when the radar guns
were off a just tad, thus the lower speed.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 3,303 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I've been in both...And like them both.

The blue Donzi Craig Barrie brought out this year to Havasu was a great looking boat. And ran great.

Then again, the Gladiator is just a dead sexy machine, even on the trailer!

They're basically the same boat (in my opinion) and comes down to what's the better deal and if you like the looks of one over the other.

I personally would stay with the Cig. but that's just my personal "biased" opinion.
Attached Thumbnails 36 Gladiator vs. Donzi 38 ZR-daytona-pr-07-4-.jpg   36 Gladiator vs. Donzi 38 ZR-dsc00448.jpg  
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

I am biased now because I own one, but before I did I took test runs in both. The 38 Comp is bigger all around, you sit deeper in it with more bolstering and with identical power, the comp runs circles around the Gladiator. I know their top ends are close but there is more to performance than that. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of a Gladiator and it runs awesome, but when I ran in a 700 Comp last year and was carving turns in a 2-3 foot chop @ 100 mph I was sold. The way it accellerates from 60-90mph is just awesome.

Cigarette does hold the marquis name and price to go with it. I always equated it as Donzi is to Cigarette as Porsche is to Ferrari.

GT3 versus 430 Track Pkg perhaps.

Last edited by Tom A.; 08-26-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I have only heard good things about the Donzi as far as ride. But, let's face it, buying a performance boat has alot to do with looks, and that is where the Donzi just falls short. It justs looks old and dated . I have had several Donzis in the past and always will appreciate them, but, this particular model just doesn't do it for me. And, I would put Phils new 700 Glad up against the new 700 Zr any time of the week. Anyhow, I have always said, buy what YOU like. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Last edited by pm203; 08-27-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Cigarette does hold the marquis name and price to go with it.
I don't think this is true with these models. I see a lot of gladiators priced at or below the ZRC's. Course a couple of the ZRC's I've been interested in over the last 2 years are still for sale.

Maybe it's numbers but you can buy a gladiator cheaper than a ZRC at least based on asking prices.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pm203
But, let's face it, buying a performance boat has alot to do with looks, and that is where the Donzi just falls short. It justs looks old and dated . .
So true, I'm a cig guy but I think both the ZRC and PR Fountain are much better looking boats than the gladiator.

It's all in what you like!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered

Wow, I'd have had to ask for a clarification on that, if the Donzi was not in P class you shouldn't have been.

We weren't told how they broke down the P, M and N classes. I will have to check that out for next year. I am glad though that they did start to break down the classes a bit further.

I suggested to them that they also group the Merc powered boats. Now that you have from a 500EFi up to 1200+ merc power you could group them by power plant.

They also threw out bracket class idea but the problem is you have people sand bag to get a tie in a class that they could break out of.

It'll never be a perfect deal, racing never is, and remember it's a fund raiser! it isn't all about winning a class.

Quick Reply: 36 Gladiator vs. Donzi 38 ZR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.