Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37? >

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37?

Notices

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37?

Old 03-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at both boats I ended up buying a new 38 Top Gun T/S should take delivery in about 2 weeks. In my opinion the finish on the cigarette is much nicer than the A/T in every respect.
As far as the cabin I wanted something very simple and the cigarette was perfect. But i'm sure neil at the factory is capable of doing what ever you want in they way of a fancy cabin. But really think about how much you will use that cabin before you dump a lot of money into it.
I have never taken a ride in the A/T So I can't comment on the ride.One thing I do know is that the few people that own A/T's love them. The price I was quoted for a 37 AT from steve was not much less than what I purchased my cigarette for. And there is no doubt in my mind that I will make up that difference when it's time to move up to another boat. Just look at the resale history of the two boats.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

HOT DUCK Who made that cover for you? It really looks nice. Is it one or two pieces?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Registered

HOT DUCK Who made that cover for you? It really looks nice. Is it one or two pieces?
Old 03-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

A local company called "Canvas Experts" made this cover. Griff on this board has one of their covers on a 28' Pantera too. These guys do incredible work. They can be reached at 410-641-2228. The cover on Griff's Pantera is one piece, but the cover on my old Cigarette (pictured above) is 2 pieces. It zips across the boat in the middle and has a protective flap to keep the zipper from damaging the boat (kinda like a pair of pants). They can do it all in one piece with no problem, but I wanted 2 pieces so that it would be easier to fold and manage while off of the boat. You better believe that when my new boat is ready, the guys at Canvas Experts will be busy again with a full cover for it too!

Last edited by Hot Duck; 04-02-2002 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:12 PM
Registered

Thanks for the Info!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The boat has somewhere around 150 hours on it. The engines and drives are 2001's and were put in the boat in October 2001 (when the new XR drives were released). When the XR drive was first released it was available only as a package with an engine. For this reason the original 500EFI's and bravo drives were replaced by new 500EFI's and the new XR drives. Since then they have logged somewhere around 30-40 hours. I'll post a picture of them below.
Attached Thumbnails 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37?-1.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 03-13-2002 at 12:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Attached Thumbnails 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37?-2.jpg  
Old 03-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Will
NO NO NO you cant sell your boat
It is an ICON of OCMD
you wake up the beaches when you come flying down the coast with that thing throttled up!!!!
Everyone stops, kids with their kites stop dead in their tracks, Binoculars all get whipped out and cameras ect
Dude you have the REAL OC ROCKET not that yellow bumble bee hatteras or whatever that thing is

Oh man this is a sad day
(now im even more pissed cause if I had the money, I would buy it in a heart beat too!!!)
Damn damn damn damn damn damn it damn it damn it
All I have to say is the new one better be nicer (that is really tough to do considering you have the prettiest cleanest cig I have ever seen)

What did the guys think?
Well I wish you good luck with your new one and PICTURES man PICTURES
Send me PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to you later
Jason
Old 03-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Troutly - I have sent the info that you requested to the e-mail address that you provided. Thanks.

Jayl13 - Thank you for the compliments. This boat is pretty well known around here, but I decided to build a canopied gladiator and jump into racing with both feet. Rest assured that you will see the new boat running up an down the coast this summer waking up the dead and all of those people trying to sleep and relax on the beach! As the saying goes...practice makes perfect. Our advantage is that we (my throttleman and myself) get the chance to run with each other almost daily and it is all ocean time! It really killed me to let this 38 go because it was my dream boat...the one that I always wanted. I can guarantee that I will be back in a Top Gun some day, but for now we want the safety of the canopy on the race course. It is a tough trade, but safety comes first.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

Will,
I wish you the best and I Cant wait to see what you have up your sleeve this summer!!!
Safety first yes absolutely

I know racing you in the baja will be 100% pointless but we will have to pound some waves (with me way way behind you)
Come on SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dying here for some warm weather
Good luck with your new ride and cant wait to check it out
as for the cig, hell I have about 2 rolls of film of it so you ever want the beach combers view or the beach condo view, let me know
Thanks for the memories with the cig and cant wait for new ones in the years to come
Jason

Quick Reply: 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.