Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
1984 38ft Flatdeck what will it take? >

1984 38ft Flatdeck what will it take?

Notices

1984 38ft Flatdeck what will it take?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
apache57

Default 1984 38ft Flatdeck what will it take?

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o24553-en.html

I was checking out this old girl as it has potential and wanted to ask the experts this. How much coin would you have to put in her to update the dash, new gauges, controls, and wireing if needed. Next would have to be a swim platform and maintaince on the paint (wet sand and buff). That trailer will need some serious love as well I assume the motors would be fine for a couple seasons but i would have the drives checked out. I am asking this because alot of people have been through this process and probably have a good idea of what it would cost. I was thinking you could pick it up for 30k and then tweak it to your style. Any input would be appericated.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apache57

I was checking out this old girl as it has potential and wanted to ask the experts this. How much coin would you have to put in her to update the dash, new gauges, controls, and wireing if needed. Next would have to be a swim platform and maintaince on the paint (wet sand and buff). That trailer will need some serious love as well I assume the motors would be fine for a couple seasons but i would have the drives checked out. I am asking this because alot of people have been through this process and probably have a good idea of what it would cost. I was thinking you could pick it up for 30k and then tweak it to your style. Any input would be appericated.
I am not an expert, but I would say, way more than you want to put into it.

I know where there is an all ready converted to Konrad's Mistress if you are iinterested, fo just a little more money.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Been there done this. Don't do it. You will soak 5 times more then you estimate. Things will always be a problem, better off to buy a stepped top gun for 100K and be happy. That restore will be at least 100k and if you think I'm crazy I had an 1981 39 cig that I had 200K in restoring. Then realized I wanted a twin step and am glad I did, great ride and less power to go fast.
I can't affoard old school boats... 100 thousand dollars a season to go fast. This is a realistic cost with old technology.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 PM
apache57

This is why i wanted to ask. I am not hard headed when it comes to this type of advise and i appericate all the feedback i can get. Thanks guys,

JT

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why i wanted to ask. I am not hard headed when it comes to this type of advise and i appericate all the feedback i can get. Thanks guys,

JT
If you want to do it fine, But do it for love, because there are probably 2 or 3 guns that can be bought running for under 50K, that don't have outdated drives on them.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 PM
apache57

Boats for me is all about love and being a little crazy! Yeah i have seen a few Cigarette's that could be bought in the 50-60k range. The Daddy Cool race boat is tempting since it has already been overhauled. Not sure what they are asking for the mills though.

JT

Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been a couple of threads specific to this particuar boat if you search "flatdeck", you may want to look in the Chicago Powerboat club section as well since the owner is on the board under the name BEAST. I saw this boat in person when I went to go look at the Bullet GSC also has for sale.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
apache57

Originally Posted by Loan $hark
There have been a couple of threads specific to this particuar boat if you search "flatdeck", you may want to look in the Chicago Powerboat club section as well since the owner is on the board under the name BEAST. I saw this boat in person when I went to go look at the Bullet GSC also has for sale.
Thanks for the info. What did you think of the boats since you got to see them in person?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Loan $hark
What did you think of the Bullet @ GSC?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
Been there done this. Don't do it. You will soak 5 times more then you estimate. Things will always be a problem, better off to buy a stepped top gun for 100K and be happy. That restore will be at least 100k and if you think I'm crazy I had an 1981 39 cig that I had 200K in restoring. Then realized I wanted a twin step and am glad I did, great ride and less power to go fast.
I can't affoard old school boats... 100 thousand dollars a season to go fast. This is a realistic cost with old technology.
Brotha' speaks the truth!

Quick Reply: 1984 38ft Flatdeck what will it take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.