Don Aronow's last race boat. >

Don Aronow's last race boat.

Notices

Don Aronow's last race boat.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Don Aronow's last race boat.

You know, I think with the death of John Crouse recently, I started taking stock of all the projects that I plan to complete.....and realize there just ain't enough time or money.

So, I am thinking of putting the Benihana up for sale. Will this just be another 35 foot Cigarette race boat on the market??

Well, I have a letter of authenticity, from Michael Aronow that will go with it that says.....This is the last offshore race boat that Don Aronow ever built for himself and registered with the APBA under his favorite racing number 4.

The boat was not finished in time for the start of the season and Don was testing another boat and was injured and decided against coming out of retirement.

The boat sold immediately to Hal Sahlman who raced it as Spirit and he sold it at the end of the season to Rocky Aoki who raced it as Benihana.

The boat won the Bahamas 500 twice, the very last Miami to Nassau race, the Bushmills twice, The Stroh's race, the Hurricane Classic, and the Marina del Rey race while setting five new world speed records......it was a very special boat built for a very special guy.

Anyone interested PM me.....Awlgrip paint already purchased and would go with it....many original parts including windshield, trailer, Kiekhaefer tabs, fuel fills, gauges etc etc. Engines and drives can either go with it, or repower it with somethng brand new like Ilmors...your choice.

Guaranteed to be the center of attention at any poker run or race gathering you would attend.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow's last race boat.-ph-24history006.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-restoration-350002-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-spirit0005-small-.jpg  

Don Aronow's last race boat.-file0028a.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-small-.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any pictures of it in its current state and condition?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered

The boat was in California in an aircraft hanger. The California owner painted the boat black. We sanded off the black paint and were prepping it for the new Awlgrip. The sides are primed.

Boat is located in Florida.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihana-restoration-2006-001-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihana-restoration-2006-005-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-013-small-.jpg  

Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-026-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-036-small-.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love to have it but a restoration like that is a little...ok a lot above my ability.Lets hope no one makes a center console out of it.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered

Some more shots. Cigarette logo was the old style and was hand painted on the rear of the side. The original painter is still around and we were going to have him redo the name, flag and logo, just like he did back then.

The new Awlgrip paint was matched to the colors under the sterndrives.

The many years in California's dry air and now, in our own shop where it is nice and dry has helped preserve it.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-038-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-045-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-benihanna-before-pictures-2006-051-small-.jpg  

Don Aronow's last race boat.-interior-boat-10004.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 05-28-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Would love to have it but a restoration like that is a little...ok a lot above my ability.Lets hope no one makes a center console out of it.
Thanks....your right. The right guy has to be the one to do it. The ultimate Cigarette collector, that understands the real piece of history he has here.

Bobby Saccenti has been doing some restorations on Apaches lately, and would be open to helping with the resto on this one if the right buyer is found.

It is a one of a kind. Like Don's first race boat the 233 Formula.....the original The Cigarette. The owner has been approached by many collectors, but he is holding on to it for now.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow's last race boat.-formula-233-cigarette-006-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-formula-233-cigarette-003-small-.jpg   Don Aronow's last race boat.-formula-233-cigarette-004-small-.jpg  

Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 AM
MF
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another glorious one for sale...i haven't decide on mine yet if keeping or selling....the man is calling me once a week....
Old 05-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MF
Another glorious one for sale...i haven't decide on mine yet if keeping or selling....the man is calling me once a week....
I decided at this time, I just can't get this boat restored correctly. So.....let someone who can do it, buy it and do it.....then the world can see this great boat run again.

It really is all about the boats and the history, not us. If you can't see yourself doing it, let it go and enjoy it as finished with the rest of us.

There are some big fans of Cigarette out there....maybe even the factory or some of their big dealers, they should be jumping on these two boats...let's see.