Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the link TBAG. great user name by the way
Old 12-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BERUBE
i found an earlier post of yours, you wrote that it is 1976 but current owner is stating that it is a 1979 ??? do you know the history of this boat after you sold it? The current owner took it as partial trade on his bigger cig. and doesn't seem to have very much information on the boat or the engines. thanks
It is a 79 just got mixed up on the year , it has been a while since I owned it. It had 406's i built for it, but they went to 383's for the class they were in. Probably has the same Jimmy V heads and intake and carb set up, Big savage Gil oil coolers, and the crank mounted water pumps I used. The exhaust is gill also. I sure they have improved a lot on the boat in the last 12 years. here is a pic of the motors when i had it, hydraulic cams and a 600 rpm idle in gear and super reliable. Go for it you won't be disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails Check this 28SS Cigarette in Detroit-sbc.jpg  

Last edited by northernoffshore; 12-14-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
It is a 79 just got mixed up on the year , it has been a while since I owned it. It had 406's i built for it, but they went to 383's for the class they were in. Probably has the same Jimmy V heads and intake and carb set up, Big savage Gil oil coolers, and the crank mounted water pumps I used. The exhaust is gill also. I sure they have improved a lot on the boat in the last 12 years. here is a pic of the motors when i had it, hydraulic cams and a 600 rpm idle in gear and super reliable. Go for it you won't be disappointed.
thanks so much for the info. as you can probably tell from my posts that i am not a gear head and am a little intimidated by this little beast, but at this price i figure i can't go wrong. I will probably be asking for more info after the purchase. thanks again.

Last edited by BERUBE; 12-15-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the CL pics it appears that the drive gimbals are right under the rub rail. On mine they are about an inch and a half below. Does anyone know if the drive height was raised by a previous owner and how much was gained from this?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 28cigarettess
In the CL pics it appears that the drive gimbals are right under the rub rail. On mine they are about an inch and a half below. Does anyone know if the drive height was raised by a previous owner and how much was gained from this?
It came that way from the factory. I bought it as a stripped out bare hull and sanded it down to the gel, and would of seen any repairs or mods. Here is a transom pic
Attached Thumbnails Check this 28SS Cigarette in Detroit-sbc1.jpg  

Last edited by northernoffshore; 12-15-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 296 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by BERUBE
thanks so much for the info. as you can probably tell from my posts that i am not a gear head and am a little intimidaded by this little beast, but at this price i figure i can't go wrong. I will probably be asking for more info after the purchase. thanks again.
If your not a grease monkey probably not a good idea to buy an old raceboat. JMHO

If you want to be a grease monkey, this would be a good boat to get broken into with. After working in that tiny bilge anything else will be a cake walk.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Very nice and congrats if you get it. Maybe we will see you at Cumberland next summer.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Sorry never mind on the Cumberland thing, I read wrong post. Where are you at.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

needs race gas and valvetrain maint every 15 hrs
plus oil change every 10

not a pleasure boat

just got off the phone with the owner who traded it to the guy in mich
Old 12-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered

Miss Cigarette has a new caretaker. I will give her the TLC that she deserves. Thanks for all the great information and advise, especially to NORTHERNOFFSHORE who gave me the little extra encourgement that i needed to pull the trigger. Lake St. Clair will be her new home for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.