`39 Deck and Liner Removal? >

`39 Deck and Liner Removal?

Notices

`39 Deck and Liner Removal?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default `39 Deck and Liner Removal?

Anybody have any sugestions, experience and/or pics on the perferred way to remove the deck and liner form a early 80's `39 Squadron XII. Wanting to remove for inspection of stringers before proceeding in restoration.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My guess is that the hull and deck were glassed together. Unless you REALLY need to and can't inspect otherwise, I'd suggest not cutting it apart because that's the only way it's going to separate. Look on the backside of the joint. It should be "shoe-boxed" with the deck set over the hull then they would glass the two together and screw the rub rail.

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 02-16-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 396 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Holy Smokes
My guess is that the hull and deck were glassed together. Unless you REALLY need to and can't inspect otherwise, I'd suggest not cutting it apart because that's the only way it's going to separate. Look on the backside of the joint. It should be "shoe-boxed" with the deck set over the hull then they would glass the two together and screw the rub rail.
That is what I was thinking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Jr.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the hull and deck are glassed together and i do agree about not seperating if possible. The hull sufferd an interior fire and has been out in the weather for several years. The stringers are easy to get to under the cabin and appear to be good. Am currently thinking of cutting out the liner in the cockpit area as some wood seems soft.