Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
How to get rid of porpus in '92 Top Gun? >

How to get rid of porpus in '92 Top Gun?

Notices

How to get rid of porpus in '92 Top Gun?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 830 Likes on 387 Posts

My Cafe Porpuses when it's too flat and I've got it trimmed out some. I find that if I either drop a slight bit of tab down, or just tap the drives in a fraction that it goes away. Kind of a pain in the ass, but a good excuse to never run when it's too calm!!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 3,414 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Straight bottom cigs do not like flat water. There's a sweet spot in most every straight bottom cig I've been in while in flat water. Each boats slightly different but its somewhere with the drives kicked out a bit and tabs down a bit right before you feel the "drag" and slowing. Sone will also drop one tab a little more than the other to get the boat to roll over slightly off the vee.

Just play with it. You'll figure it out. But get it in any type of swell or chop, not only will the porpoise go away, you'll actually see the speed climb! (Less drag the better).
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Just tuck it in a little bit, I've driven your boat (exact boat) many times. We did the valve job and put the GPS and headliner in it
Small world. Great boat with some tlc.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88bullet
put blowers on it and drive through the 60-70mph hop
Thats kinda the plan down the road. Reason the TRS's won't be around long. One step at a time on a limited budget
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

C.G. is off or your boat was built with the drives to high. I had a 89 Cafe racer with the same problem TRS drives mounted to high.
I switched the drives to spin in. It helped a little. Not much.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Straight bottom cigs do not like flat water. There's a sweet spot in most every straight bottom cig I've been in while in flat water. Each boats slightly different but its somewhere with the drives kicked out a bit and tabs down a bit right before you feel the "drag" and slowing. Sone will also drop one tab a little more than the other to get the boat to roll over slightly off the vee.

Just play with it. You'll figure it out. But get it in any type of swell or chop, not only will the porpoise go away, you'll actually see the speed climb! (Less drag the better).
Tank... the only way my cafe stayed level was trimmed in and Tabs WAY down in any kind of water.

Maybe it was the way it was put together, on a Friday probably
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lucky strike
C.G. is off or your boat was built with the drives to high. I had a 89 Cafe racer with the same problem TRS drives mounted to high.
I switched the drives to spin in. It helped a little. Not much.
I was under the impression my drives were too low. It really runs great running hard with lots of trim.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered

Ya got me there. We tried everything short of changing the X dimension nothing worked so I just traded it in to a dealer, and just kept on moving.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

X2. Get the boat running 4,000 rpms, drives about halfway out, a bit of tab, almost in line with the drives. If the boat starts to porpoise, throttle thru it and give a bit more tab for a few seconds then tap them back up. Your boat will likely run best in 2-4' swells/chop, flat water sucks.....boring!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 36Envision
X2. Get the boat running 4,000 rpms, drives about halfway out, a bit of tab, almost in line with the drives. If the boat starts to porpoise, throttle thru it and give a bit more tab for a few seconds then tap them back up. Your boat will likely run best in 2-4' swells/chop, flat water sucks.....boring!
I have every intention of giving the ole Powerstroke a workout next season in search of bigger water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.