Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
How to get rid of porpus in '92 Top Gun? >

How to get rid of porpus in '92 Top Gun?

Notices

How to get rid of porpus in '92 Top Gun?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I have heard that in old straight hull boats most of the time they like nuetral trim and no more for best results, my Cig gains zero speed in most conditions after nuetral trim .... overtrimming will make her porpoise
Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by bigfarmer
The "wedge" is about 18 long and 4" wide and consists of 4 layers of glass.
The 1st is a full 18" long
The 2nd is 13.5"
The 3rd is 9"
And the 4th is 4.5"

Its not much at all and is really only an 1/8th". That's a good place to start any way. Try it out and if it still has a slight hop keep adding a thenth of an inch until its gone. Don't let people tell you it will decrease the value of the boat or say it will ruin the boat. In my opinion nobodys goning to want to buy a boat that flops around like a bent dick on dead calm or light choppy water. Its your boat do whatever the hell you want with it.

I did this along with adding the strakes back that I cut back 18" and after about 150 miles in different conditions ( flat to 3-5`s) my experience has been the same as Farmers . Thing flies straight and seems to land better. No more hop unless I get too happy with the trim .
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I did this along with adding the strakes back that I cut back 18" and after about 150 miles in different conditions ( flat to 3-5`s) my experience has been the same as Farmers . Thing flies straight and seems to land better. No more hop unless I get too happy with the trim .

Glad to hear it worked out for you as well!!! Give me a call and fill me in sometime...
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 463 Likes on 211 Posts

I want this mod, Dan can you email pics or better explain the process? I understand what's involved, did you spray new gel on the bottom side? Also, I noticed the boat wants to stand up when it airs out and land ass first unless you have a lot of tab input. This may be due to all the added weight towards the transom with bigger equipment. Did you notice that it comes out of the water "flatter"? How much in thickness do you think was added on your hull? 1/8" ttl?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Spin the props in.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 AM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
Spin the props in.
The sucks in the transom and makes it handle like crap/worse.
Tres told me these boats like transom lift and he is right .

Frick, the guy who did it is closer to you then me in Michigan.
Bowkers fiberglass.Martin will set you up if you want it done.
Everything is gelled and finished real nice.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Registered

So the mod is done just outside of the inner strakes? Nothing is done to the "keel" portion of the V towards the center?
Old 07-03-2018, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

Two molds were used to build 90’s top guns. I swear one mold produced a porpoising boat and the other did not. We should do a survey...

our boat has a lot of porpoise without a ton of tab. Buddies boat has none. The two came from different molds. I measured every dimension possible of the two boats. Everything is identical. Yet they ride completely different.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Registered

MOSES - same running gear I assume? Engines, trans, drive, prop, etc?

Mine porpoises, not ashamed to admit it. Hammer down on the throttles, everything settles around 75, and it actually starts to ride better up on top of the water. Noticed it's pretty sensitive to drive and tab position. Any amount of tab below even KILLS speed big time. Drive trim position will influence it a lot around neutral and above, not a big speed gain by trimming drives up.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 58 Posts

My 35 Gun (Cafe hull) porpoises as well, she likes to drag a little tab and neutral drives. Reminds me of the old "Baja Bounce" when I used to sell them lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.