Whos Mistress is this???  Chicago area >

Whos Mistress is this??? Chicago area

Notices

Whos Mistress is this??? Chicago area

Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That boat was a real runner about 12 years ago . The headers are made by gaffrig back in the day . The guy spent a ton of money on the motors but it has been sitting for a long time. It is probably in pretty good shape still. At 1 time it was 'the' boat on the chain up there.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
Not at 25,000..... but....if you have the ability to buy it and fix engines and such yourself as I do. Its cheaper then building one that came stock and make it run in the 85-90 MPH range is my point... for a parts boat I would have to get it for 15,000 to make anything worth while

If I bought a stock mistress for 20,000 and wanted it to go 85 MPH... I would have a lot more then 25,000+10,000 o make it seaworthy again.
Ok I was misunderstanding you. That's the same place I'm at with it. I emailed the guy and he's hard set at 25. Wonder which is the better buy the cafe for 28 or this for 25?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
Ok I was misunderstanding you. That's the same place I'm at with it. I emailed the guy and he's hard set at 25. Wonder which is the better buy the cafe for 28 or this for 25?
Hmmm hahaha I still like my flatdecks...and the mistress is a little heavier and stronger from what I know......
Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

He said engines are fired every so often... I would take a chance... just engines... freshen and go boating!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I still say even if you buy this for 20-25,000 and put 10,000 in it even though doiung it yourself would be cheaper, you have a 90mph classic wave crusher for 30-35,000???

Not bad to me, and if anyone has been in a hull like that at 80+ mph you know why I think its a good move, boats these days dont hit like these things did, they do the job but not as solid... why do you think the 41 Apache is so popular as the best hull ever?? the Mistress,38 flatdecks, and 36 wides ride the same, just shorter....
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What was wrong with the hull? "lifting"?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Said some kinda of repair was lifting?? I am not sure, unless it sat in water a lot, I would hope someone with that sweet of a ride took decent care of it....but you know how that goes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Depending on what it needs, it can be a really cool boat. 850HP from a N/A 572 is either probably a race fuel build, or at least a VERY radical motor to get 850HP. But, like any old boat, you need to really watch the hull integrity. The old mistress'es were no exception. Transom rot was a issue.

These older cigs are great riding boats for sure. But they also have limitations. Let me tell you, they are NOT built like the old Apaches. They just arent. There were a few local mid 80's Cigs locally here that delaminated and almost sunk. One of them had duct tape on the bottom of the hull to keep it from sinking.

I personally know of a handful of these mid 80's cigs that needed transom replacements. They are great boats, but if you take a 25 year old boat hull, and stuff big power in it, and run it like a apache race boat in 6ft'ers at high speed, you'll bust it up sooner or later. Cig, Fountain, formula, etc.

I remember reading about this particular boat here on oso, and recall it being some sort of light layup. Cig did some of these light layups back in the day. Unfortunately for a friend of mine who owns one of these light layups, it caused a huge portion of the freeboard to peel off during a poker run. He had to get back to the harbor without coming off plane with the one tab down leaning it on its side or for sure it would have sunk in less than a minute. After about 25k worth of repairs and reinforcents to the hull, it is back to being a solid boat again, and looks great.

They do RIDE very well, have a awesome cool factor to them. A few of my closest boating buds have 38 Flatdecks, and they are just friggin cool boats. If the hulls are dry and solid, they are very capable. Heck, probably my favorite old school boat on earth is KVogts flatdeck with arnesons. That boat has been redone from bow to stern, and lots of reinforcements made during its restoration. It truly is a bad a$$ machine now.