Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Nauti by Nature Cigarette 38 Top Gun Refresh!! >

Nauti by Nature Cigarette 38 Top Gun Refresh!!

Notices

Nauti by Nature Cigarette 38 Top Gun Refresh!!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

Cool, thanks. Think I'm going to switch to the 8mm cog setup, same as you have, nice stuff. Wow, that stuff adds up quick when you have to peice it together!!! $$$ But at this point I ask myself, hell, why not?

Something isn't adding up on my end. 572cu in., 8.3:1 comp, so 17%, 20%, or 25% overdrive for 5-8psi? Anything over 18% sounds high to me....

I am not an engine builder, nor do I pretend to be, just looking for setup feedback here.....
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest starting with the least amount of overdrive that way you can get a good tune up and then go up from there if need be. especially if this is your first time with a blower engine. Better safe then sorry. Also Boost is just a number of resistance so depending on the size of your engine and how efficient it is will determine the amount of boost it makes.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Boat looks great Mark your going to have a really nice piece when all said and done!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by IRWIN
Boat looks great Mark your going to have a really nice piece when all said and done!!!
Thanks Joe! I can't thank you enough for stepping in and getting these engines straightened out for me!!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 PM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Cool, thanks. Think I'm going to switch to the 8mm cog setup, same as you have, nice stuff. Wow, that stuff adds up quick when you have to peice it together!!! $$$ But at this point I ask myself, hell, why not?

Something isn't adding up on my end. 572cu in., 8.3:1 comp, so 17%, 20%, or 25% overdrive for 5-8psi? Anything over 18% sounds high to me....

I am not an engine builder, nor do I pretend to be, just looking for setup feedback here.....

Frick, I would listen to Joe on the boost deal... After all he is going to tune my engines in the boat!

You can use this diagram as a refrence point... 570ci 8-9lbs they are calling for 25% OD
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 PM
mmb
Registered

Here is the link to the pulley chart

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...tion-chart.pdf
Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Mark I've been told more than once on smaller c.i. Motors that chart is a ways off. Did you compare it to your past setup?
Curious if they were closer on 540-572s. Frick your gonna have to overdrive these 420's a bit more to provide enough air for 570+". That's really at the top of their efficiency. Right around 850 I think? If you have the 16 rib pullies now I'd be interested in them if you go to 8mm
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Mark I've been told more than once on smaller c.i. Motors that chart is a ways off. Did you compare it to your past setup?
Curious if they were closer on 540-572s. Frick your gonna have to overdrive these 420's a bit more to provide enough air for 570+". That's really at the top of their efficiency. Right around 850 I think? If you have the 16 rib pullies now I'd be interested in them if you go to 8mm
Mine was 2lbs low from the chart.... But i really think it was because of the cam they were using... It was crazy huge for a 6000rpm engine.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmb
Mine was 2lbs low from the chart.... But i really think it was because of the cam they were using... It was crazy huge for a 6000rpm engine.
You've got to wonder what these builders are thinking when you find components that ire so mis-matched for the application.

-We when we first tore dowm my 575SCI's we found solid roller cams similar in size to a 1075 cam, roller liters beating on the spash tray under the intake. (looked like 16 ball peen hammers had at it) and the stock flat fappet valve springs... Also supposed to have been done by an industry 'expert'

Great thread BTW, nice attention to detail and enjoy the updates. Good luck!

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 03-29-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 AM
mmb
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
You've got to wonder what these builders are thinking when you find components that ire so mis-matched for the application.

-We when we first tore dowm my 575SCI's we found solid roller cams similar in size to a 1075 cam, roller liters beating on the spash tray under the intake. (looked like 16 ball peen hammers had at it) and the stock flat fappet valve springs... Also supposed to have been done by an industry 'expert'

Great thread BTW, nice attention to detail and enjoy the updates. Good luck!

Kurt

Jeez.... Im glad its not only me... I think if more boaters started looking into their engines, some of these industry experts would quickly be out of business

Last edited by mmb; 03-29-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.