thinking Cigarette

Notices

thinking Cigarette

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking Cigarette

Hi everyone
I would like to get some info from you Cigarette owners.
In the past I have only been boating on lakes and I own a 2006 Superboat y2k 30. I like the boat a lot but I am in the mids of moving to the Caribbean and the Water here can get huge compare to the Lakes I have been on. The Superboat is great and can handle what ever I steer it into but its very light and likes to ride on top of the water and that will not work down here. I am looking at buying a 38 Top Gun in the mid to late 90's.
Speed is not an issue because I would like to do long distance runs. How would one perform with 496's? and is one year better than another? How big are the fuel tanks and what kind of distance could I cover.
I know nothing about Cigarette so any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pi75
Hi everyone
I would like to get some info from you Cigarette owners.
In the past I have only been boating on lakes and I own a 2006 Superboat y2k 30. I like the boat a lot but I am in the mids of moving to the Caribbean and the Water here can get huge compare to the Lakes I have been on. The Superboat is great and can handle what ever I steer it into but its very light and likes to ride on top of the water and that will not work down here. I am looking at buying a 38 Top Gun in the mid to late 90's.
Speed is not an issue because I would like to do long distance runs. How would one perform with 496's? and is one year better than another? How big are the fuel tanks and what kind of distance could I cover.
I know nothing about Cigarette so any input would be appreciated.
how much you want to spend on one ? i have a top gun that is carbon fiber its lighter an stronger then a all glass top gun it can take more power mine has 650hp motors with speed master #3 drives new cmi headers runs 82mph on trailer $65,000 takes it
Attached Thumbnails thinking Cigarette-cvvv.jpg   thinking Cigarette-423.jpg  

Last edited by kidapache; 04-07-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 813 Likes on 376 Posts

They aren't going to be fast with 496's. I would guess upper 60's with that power.

They hold 220 gallons. Personally, I think I can get north of 1MPG when I am cruising, but how much ground you're going to be able to cover is going to depend on your throttle hand.

They are heavy so make sure you have the right truck.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 38 Cig

I had a '94 TG and have a lot of time on other 38's as well. From '87 on, pretty much along with the early Top Guns, there is a notch in the transom, this helps get 'cleaner' water to the props. The usual caveats apply, make sure there is no water intrusion in the transoms (not bad work by Cigarette, just some later bad rigging work on used boats by shade tree mechanics). Most had 220 gallons as Seafordguy said. In the early 90's Cig built some carbon fiber guns. Most didn't wrap the stringers all the way over the top so many experienced stringer rot. If a carbon fiber boat is fixed properly it is fine. Bravo boats have a nice CG and are easier to work on plus the parts are still readily available.

There are lots of VERY knowlegable Cig guys on this forum like ThisisTank, BIGGUS, and BLEE; you'll get some great info.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

Last edited by O.C.Barry; 04-08-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

thanks guys, great info pls. keep it coming.
The more I am learning I am leaning towards a bravo boat.
Definitely heavy boats but I don't realy want more than 525's and mid 60s to low 70s is all I need . I also have all the bravo tools so that should keep me in the water down here. Now I just need to find a home for the Y2K.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
I had a '94 TG and have a lot of time on other 38's as well. From '87 on, pretty much along with the early Top Guns, there is a notch in the transom, this helps get 'cleaner' water to the props. The usual caveats apply, make sure there is no water intrusion in the transoms (not bad work by Cigarette, just some later bad rigging work on used boats by shade tree mechanics). Most had 220 gallons as Seafordguy said. In the early 90's Cig built some carbon fiber guns. Most didn't wrap the stringers all the way over the top so many experienced stringer rot. If a carbon fiber boat is fixed properly it is fine. Bravo boats have a nice CG and are easier to work on plus the parts are still readily available.

There are lots of VERY knowlegable Cig guys on this forum like ThisisTank, BIGGUS, and BLEE; you'll get some great info.
What part of the boat is more prone to the stringer rot?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Last edited by Biggus; 04-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 813 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by pi75
thanks guys, great info pls. keep it coming.
The more I am learning I am leaning towards a bravo boat.
Definitely heavy boats but I don't realy want more than 525's and mid 60s to low 70s is all I need . I also have all the bravo tools so that should keep me in the water down here. Now I just need to find a home for the Y2K.
A bravo boat with 525's should put you in the low 70's. If you're not ripping on it constantly, leaving the water and goosing it out of the hole you should have plenty of reliability with the bravo's.

Going back to your original post - if you want something in the mid-nineties I believe they had stopped putting TRS boats out by then.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your new home in the Caribbean, will you be able to store your TG out of the water, or will it have to float in salt water all time? Most of the Islands I've been to don't have the amount of land-based storage we do in the states.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Registered

It will live on a covered boat lift

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.