Easiest way to get old gas out >

Easiest way to get old gas out

Notices

Easiest way to get old gas out

Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts
Default Easiest way to get old gas out

In the ol flat deck, I was hoping sticking a hose down the fill would do it but thats be too easy
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
In the ol flat deck, I was hoping sticking a hose down the fill would do it but thats be too easy
That would probably do it, if you can get it all the way down in there...last time I had to do it I took the fuel line off at the fuel pump and hooked it up to an electric fuel pump I had laying on the shelf. Rigged it up to a discharge line that ran overboard to a recovery drum. Worked like a charm.. that was on my old Scarab, don't know if your flat deck would be different or not.....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 AM
Registered

First time I loosened the sender up and towed it to a fuel recovery place. he charged $40 and used an air powered pump to suck it all out. Worked well because he was able to see and get everything out. Next time when the fuel was fresher, used an $11 gas siphon pump from HD and pumped it into 5 gallon containers and used it up in cars. Most of the fills have a sharp 90-degree right at the tank. I doubt you'de be able to get a hose past that, and if you did, it would be hard to know how far down the hose is dangling down.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with Rumrunner. Pull the line off at the fuel pump and pump into a container. Make sure to change out you fuel filter after.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

$45 electric fuel pump rigged to an external battery on 20' long wire leads I put a toggle switch on the positive lead, and mounted it in a sealed plastic box for spark control. The toggle switch and spare battery used to power the pump sat on the floor a good 10' away from the 55 gallon drum. My boat has bullet style inline fuel filters. I pulled the line off the output barb of each fuel filter, and installed a 1' long rubber line to the fuel pump, with a 12' rubber line on the output side of the pump rigged over the side of the boat to a 55 gallon drum.

It's not the fastest, but it works perfectly. Don't stand and watch it, but you can do something else close-by and keep an eye on the fuel level in the drum before you need to switch out drums... if you have that much fuel to pump out.

I buy 55' gallon steel drums off Craigslist for $10-15 a piece; usually food drums used for pickles, lemon juice or vegetable oil.

Electric fuel pumps are best at pushing fuel, not pulling it. You may or may not have success stuffing a rubber fuel line down the fuel fill nozzle. (It may not prime, or stay primed.) There may also be a bend or a screen that may not allow your rubber line to pass.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Go for a long boat ride at a reasonable speed.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by kvogt
Go for a long boat ride at a reasonable speed.
Well thats the most fun idea, I just can`t remember if I put gas in it last year.. so then it would be old gas from who knowns when
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Well thats the most fun idea, I just can`t remember if I put gas in it last year.. so then it would be old gas from who knowns when
I thought you put a bunch of gas in it for your maiden voyage in the fall.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 AM
mmb
Registered

Thats what I plan to do.... I put a coulpe quarts of stay-bil in each tank & will top off the tanks with fresh gas.

I will be easy on it till that tank is gone!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a big hand-pump that was laying around the shop....bought a length of clear plastic tubing and hooked it up. The pump is NOT sealed well, and there was a bit of spilage, but I filled my Jeep, a couple of my employees' cars and Mild Thunder's ride when I pumped out the Fountain a couple years ago. If you don't find anything else, let me know...I've still got the pump, but I don't know about the hose...

Actually...I THINK I've still got the pump...I'll have to look around the shop...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.