SS Rub Rail help

Notices

SS Rub Rail help

Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SS Rub Rail help

Getting ready to put my boat back together, took the rub rail off to paint the boat, and to polish the marks out of it...now it's time to put it back on, do I have to put 4200 or 5200 on it or just remount it with out sealant......
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 174 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd imagine you would have to use some sort of sealant.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts

I dont use any sealant on them, not like they use to do them anyway and i dont believe Cig does these days either. Other then the actual screws there really is no need to seal the rail on a fully tabbed hull. At the very most maybe a dot of 4200 in the screw hole before the screw goes in but a properly fit screw should not need much more. The thought process is that with the edge of the rail sealed through time it will collect dirt and crap behind the rail and as many rails as i have pulled i agree.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
I dont use any sealant on them, not like they use to do them anyway and i dont believe Cig does these days either. Other then the actual screws there really is no need to seal the rail on a fully tabbed hull. At the very most maybe a dot of 4200 in the screw hole before the screw goes in but a properly fit screw should not need much more. The thought process is that with the edge of the rail sealed through time it will collect dirt and crap behind the rail and as many rails as i have pulled i agree.
Thanks Dave...by the way you did a great job on Fricks boat, just hope when he see mine he takes me in like a little brother....
Old 05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tcwcar
Thanks Dave...by the way you did a great job on Fricks boat, just hope when he see mine he takes me in like a little brother....
Thanks, still a few things to be done but yea i like the way it looks to. That white i use looks like candy to me, not sure why but it just does. It goes with everything very well. Its gonna be a great boat when its done. Got another one to do almost just like it
Old 05-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Thanks, still a few things to be done but yea i like the way it looks to. That white i use looks like candy to me, not sure why but it just does. It goes with everything very well. Its gonna be a great boat when its done. Got another one to do almost just like it
Then I guess he'll have a few little brothers then.. Question, do you seal the cleats, fuel, water, fuel vents, lights, and if you do, do you use 4200 0r 5200 sealant...
Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

yes everything else gets sealed. Anything that is through bolted with machine type fasteners. Rubrail uses sheetmetal type fasteners that, for the most part, seal themselves. Also with a fully tabbed deck joint its pretty much permanently sealed. I like Boatlife for a sealer.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Joe
Platinum Member

Thanks for the help Dave
Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default +1

We got our new SS Cig rub rail new from Art Lilly of Lilly Sport Boats. We just drilled the holes and put in #10 SS screws. Piloted each hole with 1/8" drill. No sealant. Through rough water races we haven't even had one screw back out.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598