Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power? >

Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power?

Notices

Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power?

Old 07-29-2002, 12:32 AM
JGB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power?

I know they are super heavy and fairly slow by today's standards. Does anyone know the weight, dry/wet? Performance with different diesel setups? Any insight how the hull performs? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a diesel type, 40ish ft, that can be utilized for extended criusing, and also be a wave crusher. My search obviously starts with cigarette! Thanks for any and all responses.

James

Last edited by JGB; 07-29-2002 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Registered

Talking 41' Cigarette

I built and tested 4 41'Cigarettes. We built them in 1984-1985. Two that went to Japan had 3208 TA's with #3 mercury drives. The weight was around 15,000. They went about 43-45 mph. We also built one with 3208"S and arneson drives, this one went about 50 mph. The last one that I think is still at Ft. Apache in Aventura and was/is for sale had 3208TA's , chain boxes and arnesons, It went about 55+. The last time I drove it it was smoking bad and only ran 50, injectors? Also it sank at the dock at Turnberry. They are very good rough water boats. Some cabin cracking around the head. Any one with #'3's I would be careful of, the drive is not strong enough, A #6 or #7 would be now.
Good Luck
Old 08-05-2002, 02:00 PM
JGB
Registered

ssmith76, thank you very much. I was wondering which drive i should go with . you answered my question. Arnesons is the way to go! What was it about the one in miami that made it go 55? I am thinking about finding one with out power and was thing of repowering with yanmar 420s or 465s. What do you think? and speed guesstimations?

As far as the cracking in the cabin. IS that severe? or an easy fix? or reoccuring issue?

Anything else could tell me about the ride is very appreciated. Does it porpoise a lot?

Thank You

James
Old 08-05-2002, 02:16 PM
JGB
Registered

also how/why did that boat sink at the dock?
Old 08-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Default 41' Cigarette

The cracking is only that the liner takes a beating from the heavy deck. It can be glassed in where it wont come back. The boat that sank was/is called "First Shot" owned by a man from NY. I think it sank when the tides were very low at Turnberry, the boat was on a Hyda Hoist- that suck- and it had alot of water in the bilge- sitting too long so the arnesons in the down position, get stuck on the bottom. The hoist also was taking on water and tilting. Tide goes up, back of boat stays down, water rushed over the transom. THE END
A set of yanmar's would be greeat, get those heavy Cats out. The boat does porpose, a set of Mercury 380 long tabs would help alot. There is a mint completely deck off re-done 40' Magnum at the place I have a office. It has NEW Cat 3126's 420 HP. everything is mint, including the price $320,000 for a 1982, but it is better than new, no lies, i biult Magnums for a year, after left Cigarette.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Default fast 41"

The reason the on was faster was because it had Chain boxes, this allowed the drives to be Very close togehter, like a staggered race boat.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:18 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

For a large diesel high speed cruiser, you can't beat magnum (no offense to the cigarette owners). These boats are big and beamy enough to handle BIG diesels and have a roomy interior for cruising. You will need alot of engine to break 55-60 mph.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ssmith76, is that you scott? If yes JGB this is your man. When I first got my 41 I was told Scott was the person to talk to about the 41's and they were right. An unbelievable wealth of knowlege. Scott was very generous with his time and expertise. A true professional.

Thanks Scott!!

John Cameron
41' Cigarette House of Cards aka Caddie Shack
Old 08-09-2002, 04:57 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

Yep its me. Thank you for those kind words. Still in the Biz, starting my own boat company Dragon Powerboats. see it at www.dragonpowerboats.com. I think there is a need for a boat company that truly has superior customer service, my old company has lost that. We will strive to make you the customer, whether new or old happy. Hope all is well with you and your boat, if you still have it.
Sincerely,

Scott V. Smith
Old 10-30-2002, 10:07 PM
JGB
Registered

Thank you Scott and sorry for taking so long to respond. You know how that work thing goes! Very much appreciated info. Maybe next time I am in S florida I'll stop to see your new operation.

Thanks Again

James

Quick Reply: Anyone with info on early to mid 80s 41' with diesel power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.