Notices

28ss

Old 06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28ss

I am in the process of building my new small blocks for my 28 and want some ideas on what type of ignition system I should install in my motors? Was wondering if I should go with the Mercruiser stuff that came with my boat or opt. for Msd. stuff? Will Hei Gm distributors work wiring the power wire through the interrupters? Not sure if that will work? Looking for some ideas.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hop116
I am in the process of building my new small blocks for my 28 and want some ideas on what type of ignition system I should install in my motors? Was wondering if I should go with the Mercruiser stuff that came with my boat or opt. for Msd. stuff? Will Hei Gm distributors work wiring the power wire through the interrupters? Not sure if that will work? Looking for some ideas.
We have MSD on my current 28 Cig but I've used the Merc Thunderbolt IV with success as well. It depends on how hard you are running the engines, I had 735 HP blower motors in our old Top Gun which ran fine with the Thunderbolt IV. One nice thing about the MSD 6 is the interchangeable rev limiter chips. To state the obvious, if you go with the MSD, be sure to get the marine version.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 PM
mmb
Registered

We made 925hp on each engine with Blue MSD Boxes and the Thunderbolt IV's..... The Thunderbolt distributor cost pennies to rebuild compared to an MSD if you ever have too....
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mmb
We made 925hp on each engine with Blue MSD Boxes and the Thunderbolt IV's..... The Thunderbolt distributor cost pennies to rebuild compared to an MSD if you ever have too....
The funny thing is, MMB's boat is my old Top Gun, it's a very cool boat.

I just remembered I have some new Thunderbolt IV parts in the basement and I'm here in MD.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
The funny thing is, MMB's boat is my old Top Gun, it's a very cool boat.

I just remembered I have some new Thunderbolt IV parts in the basement and I'm here in MD.
Thanks Barry! I will dig through my stuff that I have for my motors and see what ignitions I have. I have not looked since I did not think they were any good for performance stuff. I will check what I have and let you know.