Air Conditioning

Notices

Air Conditioning

Old 08-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

Just curious as to how difficult (or expensive for someone to do it) it would be to add air to a 38 TG that didn't have it. How does that work? I see the vents under the v-berth in pics, but is there anything else that gets put in elsewhere? I've heard that 388 Hustlers come pre-wired for air and it's $2500 to add, but are there any vents and ducts anywhere that the air comes out, or just in that one spot?

Being a Fountain owner considering a Cig, I'd like that A/C so I can still wear my turtleneck, and if it gets too hot, my gold chains stick to my neck
Old 08-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put air in my Cig it was about $1200 or so I bought it from artic air in Florida. It comes as a complete kit. It took a good day to put in.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MR.CIG
I put air in my Cig it was about $1200 or so I bought it from artic air in Florida. It comes as a complete kit. It took a good day to put in.
I know this is an old thread but, do you have a contact or town for Artic Air?

That seems to be a name that three comapnies have in Florida, and then a few have "arCtic air" as well.

Thanks!

JT
Old 08-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

We put in an Ocean Breeze (www.OceanBreezeac.com) system in , 12000 btu's with heat, the whole system was right around $1000, it took 1 full day to install.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Panic Button
We put in an Ocean Breeze (www.OceanBreezeac.com) system in , 12000 btu's with heat, the whole system was right around $1000, it took 1 full day to install.
I am wanting to put air in my Cafe'. How hard was the install? Do you have any pics of the finished product or pics of the install process? I am curious to know how you did it and where you put the water pick-ups.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated
I am wanting to put air in my Cafe'. How hard was the install? Do you have any pics of the finished product or pics of the install process? I am curious to know how you did it and where you put the water pick-ups.
I have the old design cabin, but here's where I put things.

Water pickup and pump is next to the raw water pickup for the head. Discharge for the rater is right above the sink drain for the head sink. I mounted the AC unit in the V-Berth with the 2 air ducts running up the dividers where the cabin fans are. Hardest part was getting myself to drill the hull. To run the ducts the stringers already had 2 3.5" holes and a 110v cable to the V-berth and to the breaker panel. I'll post some pictures later today for you.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Don't forget the pics...I too would like to see your work!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sea-Dated
My slip neighbor installed a Mermaid 6500 Btu unit in his '91 Cafe this winter. Works great! He used the existing thru hull pickup from the head 'I think' as the AC pickup since he doesn't use the head and the sink drain thru hull was used for the outlet. No new holes drilled. PUmp and strainer are mounted in he side storage seat compartment where the thru hulls are accessed from. Give it some time and maybe he'll chime in here.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 08-29-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
My slip neighbor installed a Mermaid 6500 Btu unit in his '91 Cafe this winter. Works great! He used the existing thru hull pickup from the head 'I think' as the AC pickup since he doesn't use the head and the sink drain thru hull was used for the outlet. No new holes drilled. PUmp and strainer are mounted in he side storage seat compartment where the thru hulls are accessed from. Give it some time and maybe he'll chime in here.
Mine is set up in the same location. I went with a larger 3/4" discharge fitting instead of the smaller 3/8 or 1/2". At light the smaller hose caused the water to shoot out and you could hear the splashing, with the larger outlet it's not as loud.

I jhave to uncover everything to get in the boat for photos, I'll try to do that today if it doesn't rain again. Here are the pick up and discharge locations.
Attached Thumbnails Air Conditioning-p8300004.jpg   Air Conditioning-p8300005.jpg