Cigarette 20 Project

Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow she is stunning
Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Congratulations! Looks very nice!! I hope you enjoy all your hard work.

DK
Old 09-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words!

But like I said…its a boat! The work is never done! So far we've seen only 2012 & 13, lets fast forward to 2014.

After barely getting any seat time on the Cig in september 2013, it was time to get back in the water in may! So on the wednesday before memorial day weekend, I went up to the lake to pull the boat out and get her into the water.

Pulling the boat out of the garage. Backup camera's make towing by yourself a breeze!

All hooked up and ready to go

But first, let me take a selfie!

Much smoother water than the last time I was on the water

Back home with the fam

It was certainly great to get the boat back in the water and actually get some seat time. Of course the upgrades made the cig a completely different boat. The hydraulic steering was much more rigid, and it was very nice to not have to feel the slack from the old cable steering. Wont have to worry about the boat shooting off a different direction after jumping out of the water anymore! The additional power and the bravo drive were a huge change over the 454 and TRS. The 280 K-planes were instantly noticeable, and move much quicker than the old tabs! This was a welcome change, as I have found the cig tends to have a bit of a porpoise. I find myself dragging just a slight bit more tab than neutral to keep the boat stable, right up to about 55/60 mph where it seems the boat likes to be. Much more to come on drying attitude.

Of course, there were a few more upgrades that needed to be made. When the paint was done, obviously all of the snaps from the cover were removed. For the time being I bought a full boat cover. There was no "cig 20" cover I could buy without getting one made, so I bought one that was designed for a 20 foot, low profile ski boat. Well…clearly the cig 20 is a bit lower profile then a low profile ski boat! The cover was great for storage, but leaving it on while docked was not optimal. I had to use a mop to hold the cover taught, and even then it wasn't particularly secure.

So in summary, dropped the boat in on wednesday, and went home. It was just my luck that there was a serious storm on thursday and friday. I'd return on saturday before memorial day to a very wet boat! That would be one of the first things I'd need to resolve.

Last edited by jtr2kwl; 09-08-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Well, it was about time this happened. This girl needed some ovals

I also took some time to install the cover. What a huge pain it was drilling snaps into the boat, but a seriously huge improvement over the full boat cover.

Last edited by jtr2kwl; 09-09-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Registered

Running video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ymdJrORs7M
Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Post a pic of her with the scoops on. Also, video creds! haha.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

After a bit of a hiatus I have a few small updates, although nothing particularly monumental. After quite a bit of searching I was able to find the company that manufactures the donzi classic style take apart hinges. I ordered a set, and the ski locker has finally been installed. In addition, the bow light is finally in, so no more awkward suction cup style lights on the bow! Unfortunately I couldn't find any pics of those additions. I'll have to remember to take some soon. I've also finally installed all 6 stainless scoops on the rear hatch, and I'd say they look fantastic. It took FOREVER to install them without drilling holes straight through the hatch, and of course they are all installed in perfect alignment with one another. Ok I'm kidding about that last part haha, it was a real challenge to get them looking as straight as possible!

Also below, a few pics of the boat actually in the water:

Here's one of the installed scoops. I think they make a huge difference in the overall appearance of the boat:

And lastly, one of my favorite shots of the boat thus far. Taken on a cold mid september morning: