Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Mistress repower #2 begins.... >

Mistress repower #2 begins....

Notices

Mistress repower #2 begins....

Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like Ray "Victory Engines" did give a warning but the head supplier assured Tim he would be fine because they heads were ordered as marine heads. I made this mistake years ago on an MG head that was bought ready to run. Made it to the end of the street before it seized a guide. I know take all my head apart and inspect them myself before assembly. Even when I have Gellner do heads I go there and conform that they are within my tolerance.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

I will post my build sheets later, I myself and my buddy scott are not newbies and logged it all, the machine shop told me, another person SOLD me marine ready because he told me afr sets up to HIS specs... In the end I will NOT blame my machine shop, I will shame on myself and Scott for not taking them in because we trusted a salesman, that's on me, but I will also say that a salesman gauranteed me bolt on ready to go, of course leading some things in the past 2 weeks about said salesman it's really funny nothing is in writing it was all verbal... Things that make ya go hmmmm

Now my machinist, VICTORY ENGINES in Cleveland ohio, NOT AT FAULT at all btw, said he will come in Saturday and Sunday to work on my fixing if I ask him to, have me his home number... Now that's service to the best!

More results will be posted later....
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CIG3
Sounds like Ray "Victory Engines" did give a warning but the head supplier assured Tim he would be fine because they heads were ordered as marine heads. I made this mistake years ago on an MG head that was bought ready to run. Made it to the end of the street before it seized a guide. I know take all my head apart and inspect them myself before assembly. Even when I have Gellner do heads I go there and conform that they are within my tolerance.
Exactly, I should have listened to him that part is my fault but my supplier was one hell of a convincing salesman....
Old 05-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sorry guys gauge don't lie... People do....

I have actual videos to show no funny buisness....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]541525[/ATTACH]
Old 05-28-2015, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

What if your "Salesman" was assured by AFR that the guides would be set to his specs and in the past they have been? Maybe it isn't his fault but the fault of AFR. You seem to be doing a lot of insinuating about the guy who sold you the heads without mentioning his name, even though we all know who it is. Why not just come out and say what your thinking? It would be better than this little dance around you are doing about it. He's a big boy with an excellent reputation, I'm sure he can defend himself on here. Reading all of your posts on this it really comes across like you are trying your best to prove it wasn't your fault instead of finding the root cause of the failure. In doing it that way you run the risk of having this happen all over again.

I'm really not trying to bust your balls here, 20/20 hindsight is a b!tch, I know as it has bitten me in the past just like you. Fact is you took a shortcut by not having the heads pulled down and verified. All along you have been talking about how everything was going to be checked and rechecked and perfected by you and your machinist this time around. Sounds like your machinist tried strongly to convince you to recheck them but you didn't do that.

That is assuming of course that this failure was in fact due to a tight intake valve guide.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Be air I am not going to attach a name at this time, yes I am at fault for not checking, I am only posting so others check or take a chance on their own, I am posting facts only...I am not saying there is not any other issues or any other causes, I am posting the ONE thing I do know...what's the harm? I mean is a .0010-.0012 ok? No it is not

Fine it's my fault, but also others at fault...not just me.

Again I admit my faults to not checking, did I mention that was my fault? Yes I did.

I am told to send both heads untouched to afr, well I touched them because I am not taking a word from so done in Cali telling
Me "yes they are within spec" over the phone when I don't see it done, hence myself having VIDEOS of it being done at my shop with 40 years behind him, would you look for yourself? Or just send parts and hope theyvare honest? What if I didn't check and afr says yea they're .0015.... I would believe it and be screwed...

At this point I am fixing things gonna pay for it and move on with a lesson
Learned...
Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My only issue with my salesman is I was told they get set up a certain way for his builds, afr themselves told me otherwise... Aside from that it's on afr because they are still not the .0013-.0016 average they should be. So I am not bashing anyone just posting facts.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

So tell me this, am I the ONLY one at fault here? I don't think I am.... It is what it is all I can say guys is check the parts yourself nothing else... No bashing nothing just check the parts...
Old 05-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 481 Likes on 220 Posts

Do they provide a QA readout or actual measured (paperwork)? Similar to either sampling in automotive or 100% inspection for custom one-off type work?

Similar to what you have documented for your blocks?

That would be nice to have....
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did bob tell you what the guide clearance would be?? Or just the parts used and spring heights etc??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.