1981 Cigarette Valueation >

1981 Cigarette Valueation

Notices

1981 Cigarette Valueation

Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1981 Cigarette Valueation

I need some help. I need to get a value on my boat, but I not sure I want to spend $300-$500 to get a surveyor’s guess/estimate. Please provide your thoughts on what the boat may be worth.
I have a 1981 33’limited that I purchased off of Off Shore Only from a past member.

The boat looks good from a distance, but is probably a seven on a ten point scale. The pictures look a little better than actually. With a little touch up the gelcoat could be good for ~ another five years. The engines are good, but with current power it a 60 MPH boat, but rides like a dream! If you haven’t operating one of these old flat decks they are wave crushers!

Boat turns really well. You can turn hard and the drives don’t blow out until you turn hard and slow quickly.

I purchased the boat needing engines and some transom work. I have rebuild the engines. Below is the known info on the engines.

The transmissions/ couplers/ shift cables started to slip year before last and I have not address. If this kills the value let me know 100% functional and as is value.

Engine info
BBC 454 gen Vi.
Large Square port heads
Forge marine crank
GM H rods
Stainless marine exhaust
I don’t have a cam card, but they are not high lift cams. (Reasonable vacuum and idle)

Good
1. Both engine recently rebuilt
2. Hull is solid and looks cool
3. TRS

Neutrals
1. Interior is ok
2. Gel coat looks cool, but is old
3. Everything (minus holding power) works or could work easily

The bad
1. Power not holding. Not sure if it is transmission/couplings/shifter.
2. Transom needs rebuilt in the future. When I purchased it the transom it had some moisture/ rot. I used a hygroscopic epoxy to dry out and strengthen the transom. It worked ok, but I “finished” the patch with a fiberglass filler and it doesn’t look good. Just being open.
3. Trailer is homemade
4. No cabin interior. Just carpet in the cabin.

I have to figure out how to post pics here. Will follow.

Thanks for the help.
Brandon
Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned a 1979 Cig 33 Limited Edition from '05 to '09. Completed a partial resto (interior and helm) just before I sold it. Mine had the Merc 420HP's with Merc400 trans and TRS drives. Knowing what I sold mine for and based on your description, I'd guess the as-is value to be in the teens at best. No offense, but the transom and transmission issues being the biggest hit. Guessing that the buyer would need to invest $15-$20k to get it where they want it.

Would like to see pics. Drop me a PM with your email address.