removing 2" spacer need opinions >

removing 2" spacer need opinions

Notices

removing 2" spacer need opinions

Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing 2" spacer need opinions

considering removing 2" spacer on SSM lV's to put bullet even with bottom of boat, currently plans easily at 3k with 16.5 x 28 4 blades, what effect will higher X have on planning, mid range cruising and top end, boat is 89 straight bottom full cabin side by side Top Gun

Thanks

Moxy
Old 06-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

Moxy,

I have a similar setup you are thinking about doing. From my experience, you will not be able to plane with those props (or it may be extremely aggravating), which may be a problem down the road on top end depending on how much power you are making. My boat may be different, but it will definitely affect it.

I would assume your cruise and top end would increase, how much I cannot say (2-3 mph, all else being equal?).

Fyi, I am running even to bottom with 17.5" dia props, and it's not a cake walk to get on plane. Maybe you should try a 1" spacer first to see how you like it?

Last edited by frickstyle; 06-07-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Moxy,

I have a similar setup you are thinking about doing. From my experience, you will not be able to plane with those props (or it may be extremely aggravating), which may be a problem down the road on top end depending on how much power you are making. My boat may be different, but it will definitely affect it.

I would assume your cruise and top end would increase, how much I cannot say (2-3 mph, all else being equal?).

Fyi, I am running even to bottom with 17.5" dia props, and it's not a cake walk to get on plane. Maybe you should try a 1" spacer first to see how you like it?
great advise I have 1"spacers as well so I may go to them first and see what happens, I am all about mid range cruising and getting on plane, don't want to lose that for 2 mph gain at the top end.

Thanks

Moxy
Old 06-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Icdeppl has IV's on boxes on a 38 Flatdeck. His boat originally came with 17.5x28 five blades, no spacers, and propshafts around even or a little above the bottom, I cant remember now. First run with the boat, water was a bit choppy. Took FOREVER to get on plane. 5,0000rpm burnout for 1/2 a mile. He installed 2 inch spacers, didn't help much at all. Still a huge burnout , and took forever. He then got a set of 17.5"x27 four blades, that were straight from mercury racing with lab finish, unmolested props. Boat planed off in seconds at about 2800rpm, almost zero prop slip. Then, seeing how well it planed with these props, he removed the 2 inch spacers, and the boat still planed very well.

My 38 Fountain with #4's has been very similar in reacting. Somehow the interweb has been filled with "diameter" is what you need to get on plane, as if it is the only thing that matters for getting on plane. I have found zero substance in that, in the 3 or 4 SSM boats I have played with. I have had 16 3/4 diameter 4 blades, plane better than 17+inch five blades, 18 inch 3 blades, plane better than 17.5" four blades. I had 16.5x27 four blades on my fountain that hooked up so well, I could basically pop the boat on plane, and give it all the throttle I wanted, with no blowing out. My current 17x28 props, I have to feather the throttle to keep from hitting the rev limiters getting on plane.

Getting on plane is first part of the battle. Then you have to figure out if your boat needs diameter , rake, more or less blades, round ear or cleavers, and so on. none of it matters though if you cant get on plane.

Most of these old SSM props are molested, repaired, modified, and so on. If you get a good set of props, I suggest hangin on to them!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Icdeppl has IV's on boxes on a 38 Flatdeck. His boat originally came with 17.5x28 five blades, no spacers, and propshafts around even or a little above the bottom, I cant remember now. First run with the boat, water was a bit choppy. Took FOREVER to get on plane. 5,0000rpm burnout for 1/2 a mile. He installed 2 inch spacers, didn't help much at all. Still a huge burnout , and took forever. He then got a set of 17.5"x27 four blades, that were straight from mercury racing with lab finish, unmolested props. Boat planed off in seconds at about 2800rpm, almost zero prop slip. Then, seeing how well it planed with these props, he removed the 2 inch spacers, and the boat still planed very well.

My 38 Fountain with #4's has been very similar in reacting. Somehow the interweb has been filled with "diameter" is what you need to get on plane, as if it is the only thing that matters for getting on plane. I have found zero substance in that, in the 3 or 4 SSM boats I have played with. I have had 16 3/4 diameter 4 blades, plane better than 17+inch five blades, 18 inch 3 blades, plane better than 17.5" four blades. I had 16.5x27 four blades on my fountain that hooked up so well, I could basically pop the boat on plane, and give it all the throttle I wanted, with no blowing out. My current 17x28 props, I have to feather the throttle to keep from hitting the rev limiters getting on plane.

Getting on plane is first part of the battle. Then you have to figure out if your boat needs diameter , rake, more or less blades, round ear or cleavers, and so on. none of it matters though if you cant get on plane.

Most of these old SSM props are molested, repaired, modified, and so on. If you get a good set of props, I suggest hangin on to them!
thanks for the info, these appear to be a nice pair of cupped 16 5/8 x 28 merc labbed 4 blades that b blades has massaged bought from OSO member, 3 blade 17 x 28 merc cleavers needed extended 4K run to plane of with a lot of difficulty, these 4 blades at 2800 to 3000 plane with minor cavitation but relatively easy, so I intended to raise drives looking for efficiency and mid range cruising ease. But ill definitely keep these until I fine another set that perform as well, I may have missed on the pitch, I can take these over 5500 with ease so i'm thinking there may be a set of 30's in my future

Thanks for the info again,

Moxy
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Moxy
thanks for the info, these appear to be a nice pair of cupped 16 5/8 x 28 merc labbed 4 blades that b blades has massaged bought from OSO member, 3 blade 17 x 28 merc cleavers needed extended 4K run to plane of with a lot of difficulty, these 4 blades at 2800 to 3000 plane with minor cavitation but relatively easy, so I intended to raise drives looking for efficiency and mid range cruising ease. But ill definitely keep these until I fine another set that perform as well, I may have missed on the pitch, I can take these over 5500 with ease so i'm thinking there may be a set of 30's in my future

Thanks for the info again,

Moxy
I think it would be worth it to try removing the spacers, and see what she does. Its all trial and error. I wouldn't rule out doing it, because it "MIGHT" not plane as well, or cruise as well. You just gotta try it. Icdedppl was told his boat will NEVER get on plane with 4 blades, if the 5 blades weren't cutting it. Glad he decided to try it anyway. He has a boat that gets on plane in 4'fters , a boat full of people and gear, with ease now. I'm sure things would be even better with a modern CNC prop, but those arent cheap !
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Registered

yup just waiting for studs to arrive, and I think ill try no spacer and if its a problem ill put the 1 inch in

Thanks

Moxy
Old 06-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

When I had my 1993 Top Gun with 875HP and 3A drives, the X dimension was moved up twice to run like 5s. It was 5/8" above the bottom when done. I didnt have trouble planning at about 3200 RPM. I had 17.75x 32 wheels. Diameter is the key, not the spacers. As soon as you have labbing, fix a ding, or even get polished you loose diameter which is critical in getting you out of the hole.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
When I had my 1993 Top Gun with 875HP and 3A drives, the X dimension was moved up twice to run like 5s. It was 5/8" above the bottom when done. I didnt have trouble planning at about 3200 RPM. I had 17.75x 32 wheels. Diameter is the key, not the spacers. As soon as you have labbing, fix a ding, or even get polished you loose diameter which is critical in getting you out of the hole.
as I said I am planning fine with 16 5/8 x 28 labbed cupped b blade 4 blades but im 2 inches below, now the PO couldn't get on plan with 17 x 28 non labbed three blades so who knows

Moxy
Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
how high were your engines

Moxy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.