Question for Craig or Scott! >

Question for Craig or Scott!

Notices

Question for Craig or Scott!

Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for Craig or Scott!

Can you tell me any details or history behind the 33 Cafe Open hull? I'm thinking about a CC and would like to know more about the hull. What is/was the realitonship with Oceanhawk?

Can't wait to seee the new Dragon!
Old 10-18-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

Default 33 Cafe Open

The 33 Cafe open is a Ocean Hawk with a Cigarette Logo on it. We made a deal with them to help move the product. After the deal was done the first 10-15 were made by Alex at Ocean Hawk, the fiberglass pieces were sent to Cigarette, then they where rigged by Jimmy who worked out of Ft. Apache until it was sold and now leveled. He did fantastic work. After that they came back to Cigarette for the upholstry and finishing touches. Later the parts were not up to our standards so we got the molds and built them ourselves. We rigged a few but mostly Jimmy did. They are not fast, or slow 60 ish with 250 even with 300's 60ish. They are however a great rough water, dry boat. THey make a better party boat than true fish, because the beam is only 8'6". Cigarette however was charging way too much for it. They I guess have decided not to build anymore????? Hope this helps.
Scott V. Smith
Old 10-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Registered

Default 31" Decatholon

We built the 31' Decatholon from the "Bullet" hull. It is not a great boat. Slow, wet, cracks alot in all 4 corners of the cockpit. It is a pretty boat, the best feature was its console. Stick with a 33' if you must have the Logo.
SVS
Old 10-19-2002, 10:25 AM
Registered

Scott,
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond I’m sure you’re extremely busy working on the new boat!

I have heard the same thing about not picking up hardly any additional speed w/300's. Do you know if anyone has ever put triples on the hull and the results?

A good dry ride is extremely important to me, my kids will be in the boat at times. Party boat I'm not a heavy duty angler, a boat that will function for diving and taking the wife and friends out for a day on the water sounds great. One thing I would like to do is add some type of sun pad on the boat for the ladies to lay out on. Anyone have any ideas? I want the finishing touches you described. Don’t need the logo but I do like a nice set of graphics and matching interior.

Brad
Old 10-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad, if you want a sun pad, check out the 33 Powerplay CC w/ 502s. Its in oso classifieds.

jm
Old 11-11-2002, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,
Would you happen to know if cigarette had problems with thier transoms and bulheads late 80's. There seems to be a problem with moisture in the transom and #1 bulkhead. Would you know the source of this problem and can this be corrected ?
Old 11-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Registered

Default Transom

We never had problems. The only way a transom gets wet, is if the holes cut were not heavely sealed. I cannot tell you each onewas done properly. If a exhaust hole isnt selaed, water can shoot back and slowly eat into the wood. Unfortuanetly it only takes a little area that as you know grows. The same goes for the bulkhead, and holes, not sealed, and wet will rot. All those areas can be repaired, its a pain to do but yes it can be done.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's not a great boat?

She's getting old going on 16 years and has a few scars.

She may weigh a little more and not get there as fast as some of the younger new kids on the dock.

In her day she passed many and ran well with what was available to make her purr.

She has been danced on and walked all over by many drunken sailors who have raised their glass in her honor for taking them to some of the greatest places on the water.

She always has room for one more to come aboard because of her open area and doesn't even mind if others use her sparse but effective cabin to take care of business.

She may not be new or perfect, but I love her just the same.

Proud owner of a 31 Cigarette Decathlon

Cordell