Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Who know she history on this cafe? >

Who know she history on this cafe?

Notices

Who know she history on this cafe?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

^^^Good point(s), going to have the chain examined at a lab to see if it was faulty material, or...?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 644 Likes on 303 Posts

I am doing 2 rebuilds right now because the rollers on about 4 inches of chain all came off and were spread through out the valley and pan. A few even made it up into the valve covers. How the He!!???
Luckily we caught it when installing new blowers or we could have had a real Booom situation. Suks AZz but we are in reassembly mode now, so hopefully splash by Labor day
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What kind of chains are you guys running that are having these failures ?

Frick, was it a billet set ? What broke on it?

I would think a new engine with 10 hours that suffered a failed timing chain , is likely due to builder error. Alignment issue, oiling issue, engine misfiring repeatingly, etc.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

Right, it's very weird. I'm going to take it to a lab to have it examined. the links "pulled" apart at one set of pins, links broke, no material went into the pan, just fell down and got collected in the cover. End play on the cam is good.

It was a billet set, double rollers, Comp Cams Rolland chain. Moving to a Cloyes.

I am wondering if anyone else had a problem with these chains in the last year? Might be mfg defect or they switched chain/link suppliers?

Last edited by frickstyle; 08-08-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 268 Likes on 145 Posts

Many years ago...
I had replaced the timing chain on my Firebird.
Two days later it came apart.
Went back to parts store and counter guys tell me that when bored they would look through boxes of parts.
NOW they tell me that many many times they saw timing sets with no master link in the chain.
Of course I was furious and wondered why they would not say something or check after they learned this to help avoid failure in an engine.
But lesson learned.
So if it remains a mystery maybe a manufacturing or assembly defect, it has happened.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I owned Sean's old boat. It has since moved on to an owner in New York and it is currently not for sale. That boat you posted has been for sale for a couple of years on and off. I was going to inquire on it but the boat I bought came up instead.
people confuse me with Stinson all the time... I'm much better looking...