Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Tank “Back in the Saddle Again” >

Tank “Back in the Saddle Again”

Notices

Tank “Back in the Saddle Again”

Old 04-09-2024, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 280 Posts

I have only been to Havasu 1 time, several years ago. Very cool (neat) place and loved all the west coast "bling" there. More ways than one if you get what I am saying. I would assume if a person were going to "beach" their boat often you would put some sort of keel protection on there or carry a semi-truck innertube partially inflate it and pull up on it? We used to do that at Stockton Lake in MO back in the 70's and 80's. Or tie and old tire to a tree and that was you docking spot for the weekend. We would have these big campout parties and there was no courtesy dock near the campgrounds, so you brought your tire or tube to pull up on the rocky shore line.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
I have only been to Havasu 1 time, several years ago. Very cool (neat) place and loved all the west coast "bling" there. More ways than one if you get what I am saying. I would assume if a person were going to "beach" their boat often you would put some sort of keel protection on there or carry a semi-truck innertube partially inflate it and pull up on it? We used to do that at Stockton Lake in MO back in the 70's and 80's. Or tie and old tire to a tree and that was you docking spot for the weekend. We would have these big campout parties and there was no courtesy dock near the campgrounds, so you brought your tire or tube to pull up on the rocky shore line.
it’s a cool lake and town for sure. People don’t realize from needles bridge up river to havasu springs at the south end of the lake by the damn is about a 50 mile run. And super scenic. South end of the lake is usually more sparse if boats while the upper river is usually crowded. Only a handful of places to eat on the water and frankly, none are great. Beaching boats in the main channel, 3 dunes, steamboat, pirate channel, various sandbars on the river is just kinda how it’s always been done. And I think 90% of the boats will beach, whether it’s a 50 MTI to a 19’ blown flatty. I’ve beached all my boats there. Yeah it’ll eventually rub the keel and you can see some rash on the keel edge but pretty easy repair once every few years. They do make keep guards but for some reason no one uses them. I think the fun vs anal about your stuff scale tips to the “F it” level most the time.

another cool thing about havasu that people don’t really even realize is they have events in town or on the lake year around non stop! Car shows and meets all year round, air balloon meet. National fireworks convention, concerts (last weekend while we were there there was a huge stage right at waters edge and Chris Janson That songs “buy me a boat” was headlining a country music festival. At the same time a bunch of boaters were throwing a “rock the dock” type event at The Heat Hotel Sponsored by DCB. Lot of nice nice boats hanging out. Couple weeks they’re doing an iron chef event. There’s off-roading, shooting, hiking, etc. all year round there’s events and stuff non stop it seems. Problem is, everyone seems to be figuring it out and home prices have sky rocketed and a huge influx of people. But you drive through town it’s boat eye candy overload. Performance boats and cool stuff everywhere!
The following 2 users liked this post by thisistank:
Diamond Dave (04-09-2024), Helmwurst (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like a good time One of these days i'd love to see this beast for myself. I wonder how far Havasu is from Tucson🤔
Love the tow rig. LBZ or LLY?

Last edited by CigaretteSam; 04-09-2024 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigaretteSam
Looks like a good time One of these days i'd love to see this beast for myself. I wonder how far Havasu is from Tucson🤔
Love the tow rig. LBZ or LLY?
I don’t think it’s that far at all Sam.

and thanks. It’s an 05 LLY with Alison. It gets the job done. Bought it to pull the cafe when I came across a good deal on it. We were going to buy a bigger truck recently (F650) but my wife drives it and loves it. It’s had the cognito front end done, rear bags, system, alarm amp steps, updated headlights, chipped, 4WD.
, 130k miles. Rides like a cadi. I always say it is the best riding truck I’ve ever owned. Weird too, I get compliments on it all
the time. But now my wife’s eyeballin a new GMC Denali Duramax. Soooo this one may be going bye bye at some point in the near future.
Old 04-09-2024, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Thumbs up

Fantastic !
Glad you got to get out there.
Now I wanna try turning in dammit.
I didn`t like the ride turning in with the 5`s but the 6`s are different, higher and further back.
On my boat it doesnt like trim anything past level unless the speed is up there.
Usually a little past tucked does the trick.
5`s wanted a ton of trim.

Have fun with it !!
Old 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I don’t think it’s that far at all Sam.

and thanks. It’s an 05 LLY with Alison. It gets the job done. Bought it to pull the cafe when I came across a good deal on it. We were going to buy a bigger truck recently (F650) but my wife drives it and loves it. It’s had the cognito front end done, rear bags, system, alarm amp steps, updated headlights, chipped, 4WD.
, 130k miles. Rides like a cadi. I always say it is the best riding truck I’ve ever owned. Weird too, I get compliments on it all
the time. But now my wife’s eyeballin a new GMC Denali Duramax. Soooo this one may be going bye bye at some point in the near future.
Just had a moment to check, about a 5hr ride. I'll make it up there at some point, it would be a pleasure to meet you.
I have an LLY also. Crew cab, 6.5" bed. Aside from a head gasket job, it's been a helluva reliable rig. She's tuned, 5" exhaust, all that. Fully loaded, comfortable and reliable- honestly the last best generation of GM trucks before they added in that DEF garbage. You'll regret sellin her, but then again they are going up in value quite a bit, just look on BAT (bring a trailer).
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (04-10-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Fantastic !
Glad you got to get out there.
Now I wanna try turning in dammit.
I didn`t like the ride turning in with the 5`s but the 6`s are different, higher and further back.
On my boat it doesnt like trim anything past level unless the speed is up there.
Usually a little past tucked does the trick.
5`s wanted a ton of trim.

Have fun with it !!
I didn’t get to really play with it too much but from the little bit of messing around with trim and tabs, it doesn’t like a lot of trim either. Bellow neutral and a little bit of tabs is where it seemed to be happy on the flat water. Never really got a chance to run it in anything but calm water. Ran usually 55-70 3k-4K rpm all weekend. I was more concerned with stopping and checking the engine compartment for any leaks and keeping an eye on the gauges. Like I said above, saw 90 for a quick blip and it was far from pinned and still draggin a little tab and not even at neutral.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 06:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 647 Likes on 304 Posts

Gotta love the Cat Eyes. Mine is a 3500 07 Classic LBZ Leather. I bought it new. 150K miles. Everywhere I go it seems Someone is wanting to buy it. lol.
Put shell on in and beg rug in day 2. lift, air bags on back, and Train Horns. On second shell now. Several people have asked if it's an extended Suburban.
Pulled my Cig with ease.

The following 2 users liked this post by Quinlan:
Sydwayz (04-10-2024), thisistank (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Gotta love the Cat Eyes. Mine is a 3500 07 Classic LBZ Leather. I bought it new. 150K miles. Everywhere I go it seems Someone is wanting to buy it. lol.
Put shell on in and beg rug in day 2. lift, air bags on back, and Train Horns. On second shell now. Several people have asked if it's an extended Suburban.
Pulled my Cig with ease.
I've had several, including an Avalanche; and all of them had the 8.1L 496 BBC.
This was my last one, LT with the tan leather interior; and it was VERY hard to part with it.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:35 AM
Registered

I actually wasn’t a fan of the cat eyed chevy’s but they have grown on me. When we bought the cafe I was thinking I could get away with towing it with our 2500 GMC Yukon. WRONG! Fine on straight away. Sketchy up or down hills. So, went searching for something inexpensive to tow it with. I wanted a Duramax and wanted an LBZ or LLY motor. Didn’t want DEF. so, settled on something in the 05 - 2009 range.

i was poking around in riverdaves and Andy holthe (works for DCB and sells insurance) hit me up he was selling his 05. Original owner, most of its life kept in garage in havasu. 115k miles all the above mentioned upgrades. I’ve never owned or wanted a red car, wasn’t crazy about the car eyes but he said I could have it for 20k so I was like done. Didn’t even go see it. Had him drop it off at my son in laws shop in havasu and had him give Andy cash. Got it and the pride in ownership was immediately evident.
plus thing hauled azz, gets great fuel mileage and like I said, I’ve owned a lot of custom vehicles over the years, I don’t think I’ve ever owned a basically stock vehicle that gets more compliments. lol. I always teip
out. I suppose it’s the color. It’s a really nice cherry red. And the plant is in great shape. Super shiny. It’s been a fantastic truck. I sold the Yukon and have been driving an e class Mercedes while my wife drives the truck. I told her I’d get her a new Escalade when I sold the Yukon but a couple months ago when I told her ok let’s get an Escalade she said, I really enjoy driving that truck, I’ll just keep driving it. I said ok, I’m buying a Porsche. But ended up getting an S63 from Bobby. Alls well that ends well. We towed RWTD around this past weekend and the truck tows it absolutely fantastically. Zero issues. I think the gun may be lighter than our cafe was since it’s vacuum bagged and all. Definitely feels like it. Tows really well. So happy to have a cradle trailer over the I beam too. That helps the ease of tow a lot.

The following 5 users liked this post by thisistank:
87MirageIntruder (04-10-2024), CigaretteSam (04-10-2024), ICDEDPPL (04-10-2024), Nykamp (04-11-2024), pasquesi (04-11-2024)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.