Just joined.

Notices

Just joined.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just joined.

The name is Doug. I've got a pontoon party barge and an Axis wakeboard/surfboard boat. I'm getting a High Performance boat and would like input from experienced Go-Fast lovers. My budget is $40K. I've found several 1980s Cigarettes in my price range with recently serviced motors and drives. My good friend, Ken, suggested I get on this forum and look at the classifieds; most are out of my price range.

What is the difference between a Cafe Racer and Top Gun (other than three feet)?
Old 04-09-2020, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

This is my suggestion. If you are looking for a turn key boat, that nice in every respect, skip looking for a Cigarette. IMO, it's either going to be really old, or need a lot of work, your price point is at least $30k to low. $40k isn't going to go far as you already have seen. Maybe look for a 33-35 Formula, Baja, or Sunsation. All are good boats and you should be able to find a nice one for under $40k.

IMO, it is worth the extra money to buy a stepped hull. Moderate power will get you close to upper 80's or more depending on the size. Then due to the lower power engines, your drives will last longer.

Here are a few boats that are nice. Remember listing price is only that. All the boats I'm posting you could probably buy for $50k or less.
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ch-o76055.html
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...ch-o77463.html

Last edited by endeavour32; 04-09-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 166 Likes on 87 Posts

Dough don't be discouraged. if you believe the lottery chances!......I bought my 35' Cigarette for 25K custom '82 Mistress with new EFI 572'S new interior in & out new SSM 3's really too much to list.
Everything done in '96.by Flagship Marine Fla. ..put in storage for 20 yrs until my purchase in 2016.........Wising you luck in your search - or - until I might just pay it forward LOL!!

The following users liked this post:
SB (04-29-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by scippy
Dough don't be discouraged. if you believe the lottery chances!......I bought my 35' Cigarette for 25K custom '82 Mistress with new EFI 572'S new interior in & out new SSM 3's really too much to list.
Everything done in '96.by Flagship Marine Fla. ..put in storage for 20 yrs until my purchase in 2016.........Wising you luck in your search - or - until I might just pay it forward LOL!!
Boy did you get lucky! One of those custom 572's costs 25K to build! He can look around and possibly strike gold like you did, but realistically he would be better off in a Baja,Formula,Checkmate that is newer and more reliable for the money he is looking to spend...he will have more fun actually boating than working on it!...
Old 04-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know, I found a great deal on my 1990 Cafe Racer 454 supercharged. I paid $1,000 over asking and still was under the $40,000 mark. Just remember the purchase price is the price of admission, the real cash goes into upkeep and repairs. When these boats run right its worth all the headache and every penny you spent. Whatever boat you buy, get a SURVEY done. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 273 Posts

Agreed with pretty much everything above! In this covid market, you will find a nice find for 40 ish... not a problem, but guns and the likes of apaches will be kind of project or dated boats... open your eyes be patient and you will find !
Old 04-10-2020, 06:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 801 Likes on 369 Posts

You'll find something - don't be discouraged. You won't find a boat that is going to draw attention at the Key West Street party for that budget but you can get into a fun cig. As DealMaker eluded to I sold mine within your budget and there was a lot of fun still too be had in that boat.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to the Cigarette brand and camaraderie. I'd gladly take an older Cigarette over a newer mass produced boat. My lake, Nacimiento, has very few High Performance boats and some of my friends have told me the lake is too small for a 38' Go Fast. Currently I'm not interested in a 70+ MPH boat (but I may catch the speed bug once I own a HiPer). I just see myself hanging out on a pretty, albeit old and slow, racer.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 740 Likes on 334 Posts

In many purchases there's the cost to buy the boat and than the pain that follows.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Thanks everyone. I'm really looking forward to the Cigarette brand and camaraderie. I'd gladly take an older Cigarette over a newer mass produced boat. My lake, Nacimiento, has very few High Performance boats and some of my friends have told me the lake is too small for a 38' Go Fast. Currently I'm not interested in a 70+ MPH boat (but I may catch the speed bug once I own a HiPer). I just see myself hanging out on a pretty, albeit old and slow, racer.
There are some older Cigs kicking around on FB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.