SCX or SCX-4

Notices

SCX or SCX-4

Old 08-04-2020, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
you have a post on FB about this ? saw one similar
yes i know theres a straight bottom with scx4s floating arroun, just wondering what the height and manners of the boat are
Old 08-06-2020, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by b18cls1
yes i know theres a straight bottom with scx4s floating arroun, just wondering what the height and manners of the boat are
It is funny you should being that boat up. I had Marc Jacobs transport my boat from Miami to Alabama, at which point I trailered it the rest of the way to Michigan. Marc was picking up the very boat you are probably referring too. It is a straight bottom gun, with the 90 MPH red and white paint, and SCX-4 drives. I don't remember if the boat had boxes or not. I chatted with the owner as he was there as well. He told me the handling was worlds better, but he lost I think 10 mph over the standard Bravo package he was originally running. I don't remember the before and after speeds. Personally I think SCX-4s are to high for a straight bottom gun. That is probably why he lost speed, I think he would have been better with SCX. Give Marc a call, last I knew he was brokering the boat.

I'm still seriously considering SCX-4s on my boat. The NXTs are 1" shorter than my current set up and worse case, I can space down an inch. Have a guy interested in my SCX that I bought this summer, if he buys it today, I'm going -4's.

Last edited by endeavour32; 08-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Registered

My thoughts are if I go scx4 I can space back down to a -2 that the scx is. If I go scx I’m stuck with -2 that it is. I think that boat also had a eared prop not a surface cleaver
Old 08-06-2020, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by b18cls1
My thoughts are if I go scx4 I can space back down to a -2 that the scx is. If I go scx I’m stuck with -2 that it is. I think that boat also had a eared prop not a surface cleaver
Does the minus 4 allow for spacers? I didnt think it did
Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Does the minus 4 allow for spacers? I didnt think it did
yes you can space up to 2"
Old 11-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

After months of trying to decide SCX or SCX-4s I finally pulled the trigger and the new drives were ordered. Recently "Spicy" was put up for sale, and it was running SCX drives. I talked with the owner and he was very happy with the performance of the boat, With Whippled 525s he was seeing 100 mph with stock 32 Maximus props, 103 with Herings. I recently talked with Tres Martin, and he recommended the SCX over the SCX-4 but to stick with the sport master lower. Then there was the 39 with 700 Zuls (Fire Escape) with SCX-4s with Hering cleavers, it had a Max speed of 103 mph.

So with all that said I went with SCX uppers and the the 1300 lowers. No I didn't go with the twin downshift lower. I'm not a huge fan of that lower as you can only use a 1.25" prop shaft. I have the 1 7/16 prop shaft so I can run both Bravo and cleaver props with the adaptors.

It will be a fun spring when it gets here. The engines are getting fresh top ends as well as new cams. When I bought the boat I was told the engines had been converted to 700 SCIs. All that was done is someone put a 700 tune in the 600 ecu. All summer I was replacing sensors trying to keep the alarms from going off. When I realized the engines still had the 600 cams in them, I called Mark Boos, and he said, "that's your problem, the MAP readings would be off with that cam". So finally I will be able to use the stage 2 program Mark installed last July.

96-97 was my best speed run last year. It will be interesting to see where I end up. I'll keep everyone posted when I get some results in the spring.

Last edited by endeavour32; 11-23-2020 at 06:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by endeavour32:
Got Cigs (11-24-2020), HOSSMAN (11-24-2020), thisistank (11-23-2020)