SCX or SCX-4

Notices

SCX or SCX-4

Old 04-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
I know its a different boat but I have the SCX uppers with SC lowers and running 700+hp. I have had great luck with them over the past 8 years. Rebuilt them once due to cone clutch sticking and something else minor on the other (forgot) - neither was catastrophic. Make sure you get the right height, one reason I didn't do the SCX4 was the raised height and would have needed the spacers, second was the cost of #6 props and the fact I would maybe only gain a couple mph. With the 5 blade Herrings I run now, I jump on plane and still see 110. I played with other props and got it up to 115+ but had lousy midrange and took forever to get on plane.

You had to install the SCX ITS helmet for the set up correct.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Fire Escape- the 39 that Lipship set up is running SCX-4's. That is the only one that I can find, and the past owner doesn't appear to be on OSO anymore. I've messaged him, and never heard back. I am leaning toward the SCX upper with my Sportmaster lower. That would be a pretty easy and budget friendly option. It is also what Fred at Imco recommended.
You’re right, I forgot about Todd’s old Fire Escape.

If your 39 gets up on plane pretty good now, and your whole point of this is to have a beefier drive....I would go as IMCO recommends with SCX Upper and Sportmaster Lower. The X shouldn’t change. If it is harder to get on plane you can always put a spacer in. You can always swap out lowers and discussed earlier with SCX Upper.

Quinlan-what gear ratio are you running with your SCX’s?

Last edited by Lucky Strike Jr; 04-23-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr

Q-What gear ratio are you running with your SCX’s?
I'm running 1.50 with my XRs.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I'm running 1.50 with my XRs.
Sorry, I was asking Quinlan. I edited my post.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like Quinlan and I are running close set ups. Mine is a TS 725 hp and 760 Trq. Running SCX’s uppers with SC lowers (-2” w/ 1.34 ratio). Already on second lower gear set. Both motors are out getting refreshed. Just order Drive Guardians hoping to keep from eating up lower gear sets. Bravo I w/ 31 P. I run in Gulf of Mexico and the waves can be a bit unpredictable and it’s hard to keep props in water.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 632 Likes on 293 Posts

My regular props are 32 Bravo 4 blade. I really thinkg I have not trimmed the drives out enough as I did w the 5 blades because it was end of season run when I was testing them incase something Broke. I was testing with a friends set of Herrrings.

1.50 gear sets.
WIll be back on the water Soon- Carter?? lol
Started replacement of all gages and dash panels this winter- then this Dam Virus and switches were coming from China-
So he is putting it back together with what I had and splashing Soon! We did take out the spacers in the drives. Among several other things .
Old 04-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 83 Posts

Let me ask this, what is the cost on the SCX 4? new or used?

Is your boat setup on twin drive shafts or is the read motor plug in?

If youre already double drive shaft, i would find a pair of NXT or 6's and hang them off the back. Of course the imco option is total plug and play, but for that investment, i would think a 6 or nxt would be better option. What is considered bigger at this point? an NXT or an SCX4?
Old 04-27-2020, 02:42 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

I ran a set of the first scx 4 on a fountain 35 side by side. The bullets are huge. They resigned the skeg to try to offset the drive trying to ski off the bullet. If I were to do it again I would use the scx upper and dual downshaft lower.
Remember if you have a staggered setup the input shaft on the forward motor will be the weak point. Seen a few twist with aggressive setups. Maybe consider drive guardians?
The following 2 users liked this post by KWright:
endeavour32 (04-28-2020), liltwomatt (10-26-2021)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by 315duramax
Let me ask this, what is the cost on the SCX 4? new or used?

Is your boat setup on twin drive shafts or is the read motor plug in?

If youre already double drive shaft, i would find a pair of NXT or 6's and hang them off the back. Of course the imco option is total plug and play, but for that investment, i would think a 6 or nxt would be better option. What is considered bigger at this point? an NXT or an SCX4?
Both of these drives require a transmission which he doesn't have.............its a bravo boat,
The following users liked this post:
endeavour32 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I have considered the NXT, however it is a lot of work to convert vs an SCX. Plus the NXT transmission is a weak link when you get over 700 hp, and if I had to guess, in stock form, the SCX is stronger. Yes you can replace the NXT transmission with the BAM conversion but that is $15k plus. If I could find a good deal on an NXT set up, I would consider it. As far as costs go, SCX-4 used maybe $22-23k. SCX uppers used- maybe $16K.

The Six is just too heavy. They only made a few 39 with 6's. The Bravo and NXT boats are better balanced. Plus with the Six, you would have to move the engines from a full stagger to a short stagger. There isn't room to run a full stagger. I want to keep the engine low in the boat, so anything with a velvet transmission is out. Otherwise, I would have installed the Arneson setup I had. That would clearly be the best option, but that is way too much work!

So the best option for this boat is, SCX or NXT. If I leave the engines as they are, maybe Bravos with Drive Guardians.
The following users liked this post:
315duramax (04-30-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.