38 Top Gun winter upgrades >

38 Top Gun winter upgrades

Notices

38 Top Gun winter upgrades

Old 03-31-2021, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 801 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
DefaultWhen you get screwed in a set of 3A pins and can't find others, you make your own... glad I got bud die who machine things! Kept outer as 7/8" so I can retain my saddles and bushings from SSMIII
are you concerned about stress risers in the necked down area of the new shafts?
Old 03-31-2021, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 508 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
n updated version of the Mercury Racing III SSM drive, the III-A SSM drive features larger vertical bearings in the upper housing. The larger bearings provide increased rigidity for the driven gear, resulting in increased bearing capacity and longer life. Larger driveshaft splines provide greater strength, while larger pinion bearings hold lower bevel gears more rigidly, resulting in increased bearing life. A larger propeller shaft increases drive strength and is rear loading for improved shaft contact with the propeller. An extended “nose” on the gearcase improves water flow and boat handling.

Features & Benefits

Large driveshaft splines provide greater torsional strength.

Large vertical bearing in the upper housing provide increased rigidity for the driven gear and longer life.

Large pinion bearings hold lower level gears more rigidly resulting in increased bearing life.

Large propeller shaft is rear loading for improved shaft contact with the propeller.

Input ratings are 750 HP and up to 750 foot pounds of torque.

Extended nose on the gearcase improves water flow and boat handling.

I never had a problem with the 3A's and I had over 900HP. Plus the 26 Spline shaft opens up the book to better prop selection, more blades and dialing in versus hard to find 19 spline and or adaptors.
Thank you for explaining the difference!
I have 3's so I can't fully appreciate the upgrades
Old 04-01-2021, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
are you concerned about stress risers in the necked down area of the new shafts?
nah it's 1/8" and same as old ones there I'm sure they will be ok.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by cigrocket
n updated version of the Mercury Racing III SSM drive, the III-A SSM drive features larger vertical bearings in the upper housing. The larger bearings provide increased rigidity for the driven gear, resulting in increased bearing capacity and longer life. Larger driveshaft splines provide greater strength, while larger pinion bearings hold lower bevel gears more rigidly, resulting in increased bearing life. A larger propeller shaft increases drive strength and is rear loading for improved shaft contact with the propeller. An extended “nose” on the gearcase improves water flow and boat handling.

Features & Benefits

Large driveshaft splines provide greater torsional strength.

Large vertical bearing in the upper housing provide increased rigidity for the driven gear and longer life.

Large pinion bearings hold lower level gears more rigidly resulting in increased bearing life.

Large propeller shaft is rear loading for improved shaft contact with the propeller.

Input ratings are 750 HP and up to 750 foot pounds of torque.

Extended nose on the gearcase improves water flow and boat handling.

I never had a problem with the 3A's and I had over 900HP. Plus the 26 Spline shaft opens up the book to better prop selection, more blades and dialing in versus hard to find 19 spline and or adaptors.
yep plus gears are a tad bigger and nearly same as a #6, shafts same size also, that's from Gary who makes the gears he said they will easily hold 900-1000 Hp all day
Old 04-01-2021, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Wish they still made the 3A and parts. Fantastic drive. Very underrated.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by thisistank
Wish they still made the 3A and parts. Fantastic drive. Very underrated.
you can get parts from Gary. This is why I went 3A hoping for even more reliability
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (04-01-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

First trip out 2 weeks ago with 3A's same props as last year seem same speeds as my 1.58 at cruise, no WOT test yet. I would have thought I would lose some mph going to 1.68?

got a set of 3 blades with them I'm gonna compare this weekend, dude said the apache loved them.. stay tuned

The following users liked this post:
Eddienel (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 4,927 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Starting early, nice job boner!
Old 04-28-2021, 05:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Haha thx! Going to rack this sat!
Old 04-30-2021, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Tim , looking good . I am kinda sorry I got rid of the Hawk off my Flat deck . If you ever get out on lake Ontario let me know . Toronto by water is pretty cool . Lots of spots to boat to for a freshment or 2 . Cheers RG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.