staggered flat bottom 38 top gun conversion qustion >

staggered flat bottom 38 top gun conversion qustion

Notices

staggered flat bottom 38 top gun conversion qustion

Old 11-05-2022, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default staggered flat bottom 38 top gun conversion qustion

so next winter ill be repowering/rebuilding the motors in my flat bottom top gun and probably going to mercury #6 drives from TRS drives, motors will probably be making around 900-1100hp depending on what I do to them. my question is what the boat would run with that setup with the motors being side by side vs semi staggered/staggered, I know the boat will probably run 105-110 with that setup but guessing there would be a 5-7mph difference going to staggered but less dock friendly and also losing about 2 feet of cockpit space and also being about 10-15k in fiberglass work, any suggestions are welcome

Old 11-05-2022, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Straight bottom gun with 6’s and 1,000 HP maaaaaaaay see a hair over 100 MAYBE. Running with the devil was a vacuum bagged 99 gun (lighter lay up) with Pfaff 1,000’s and 6’s and it saw a tick over 100. Stagger May get 5 mph more? Tiger with 1,000’s and 6’s should hit 100 but it doesn’t have the full cabin like the guns.

but changing a standard set up to a stagger in a gun is gonna be huge job. New stringers, transom, etc. plus tail pipes. Plus, pretty sure, with the trans pushing motors forward already you’ll have to re do that whole forward step in the engine compartment (covers rear of fuel cells) and push it forward. Then you’ll have to remove fuel cells all together. Then new rear bulk head, floors etc. oh, not to mention 60k in drives and 80plus k in power.

youre talking a money tree worth of cash and an ungodly amount of work.

and after aaaaaaaall that, you’ll have 2-300k (depending on how much work you do yourself) into it a bad azz machine that does 100 essentially and will be worth half what you got into it, in a strong economy.

may as well just buy lock and load. Stagger factory gun for sale now.

otherwise, I’d suggest converting to 6’s slapping your big power in and enjoy the heck out of it the way it is.

Last edited by thisistank; 11-05-2022 at 09:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by thisistank:
ICDEDPPL (11-06-2022), Ironmanwb (11-08-2022), kreed (12-01-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 281 Likes on 100 Posts

Would be a sweet project but unfortunately not worth it. It's going to cost so much more than you can even imagine, and take years. Better off buying a different boat. Also going to be very hard to break 100 especially reliable. But if you can justify the money, have the time and patience, it will be simply badazz!
Old 11-05-2022, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Straight bottom gun with 6’s and 1,000 HP maaaaaaaay see a hair over 100 MAYBE. Running with the devil was a vacuum bagged 99 gun (lighter lay up) with Pfaff 1,000’s and 6’s and it saw a tick over 100. Stagger May get 5 mph more? Tiger with 1,000’s and 6’s should hit 100 but it doesn’t have the full cabin like the guns.

but changing a standard set up to a stagger in a gun is gonna be huge job. New stringers, transom, etc. plus tail pipes. Plus, pretty sure, with the trans pushing motors forward already you’ll have to re do that whole forward step in the engine compartment (covers rear of fuel cells) and push it forward. Then you’ll have to remove fuel cells all together. Then new rear bulk head, floors etc. oh, not to mention 60k in drives and 80plus k in power.

and after aaaaaaaall that, you’ll have 2-300k (depending on how much work you do yourself) into it a bad azz machine that does 100 essentially and will be worth half what you got into it, in a strong economy.

otherwise, I’d suggest converting to 6’s slapping your big power in and enjoy the heck out of it the way it is.

I got mixed up on my last post so its deleted. I agree with Tank on this one.
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (11-05-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 376 Posts

another vote for keep it original…if a staggered speed demon is what your after sell it and buy something else.
Old 11-06-2022, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

Alright so going staggered it out of the question, Stupid question but how about having tres martin put a step in the bottom like he did for pure adrenalin the 90mph edition boat? Never planning on selling the boat because I love the paint on it, What power is old school running because the last owner said it would run 112 with a full cabin and I think the boat is a 1989? photo down below.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 800 Likes on 451 Posts

Newer step hulls are faster (100mph+) with less power and more reliability... take your budget and hit the numbers you want in a turn key modern boat....
The following 2 users liked this post by speicher lane:
hogie roll (11-06-2022), tommymonza (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by G_money
Alright so going staggered it out of the question, Stupid question but how about having tres martin put a step in the bottom like he did for pure adrenalin the 90mph edition boat? Never planning on selling the boat because I love the paint on it, What power is old school running because the last owner said it would run 112 with a full cabin and I think the boat is a 1989? photo down below.

That picture is from when Craig first got the boat. Had 1250+hp iirc.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by G_money

I don't believe Tres put a step in a gun ever.

And I don't think you'll find ANYONE that will put a step in a straight hull boat. Again, just not worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by thisistank:
IGetWet (11-10-2022), J-Bonz (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Be way cheaper to buy the hull you want and pay someone to duplicate the paint from your current boat. And you don't end up with a frankenstein that you can never sell.
The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (11-06-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.